Epilogue

Alex's POV

"Come on, Alex. Up and at 'em!" Derek called into my room after knocking for a solid ten seconds. Thank god he was my alarm clock. I can never wake up to my phone, no matter how loud it goes off in the morning.

It's been almost two years since Derek took me in, and about one year since he legally adopted me. For a few months now, I've been interning at the BAU with Derek and the rest of the team. Thanks to Derek, and my test scores, of course, I'm able to work while getting my masters in criminology, all paid for by the FBI.

I rushed to get ready, knowing that I already stayed in bed for way too long. We're going to fly to the other side of the country in a few hours for a case. Something about a string of family murder-suicides in a small farming community, but we won't know the specifics until Garcia briefs us in the conference room. Trying to get out of my head and shake the sleep from my system, I focused on getting dressed, choosing a pair of black pants and a long-sleeved blouse. Although my cuts have long since healed and faded, the scars were still there, and they probably would remain there for the rest of my life. I was learning to live with them, but it's still hard some days.

My phone dinged right as I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my hair. A notification saying I got a text from Kai lit up my phone, displaying the picture of us together as my lock screen. After meeting at the gym, then not talking for way too long, mostly because I was too chicken, she asked me out, and we've been official for almost a year and a half now. She's helped me through so much, and I'm so grateful for her. I texted her back while I brushed my teeth, drowning out Derek telling me to hurry or he'll leave my ass behind.

Things were good. Really good. I'm working through my past and learning to be content with the present. Happiness is slowly creeping back into my life, little by little. Derek finally convinced me to get a therapist, and these past few months, she's helped me more than I can express. I can honestly say that Derek Morgan saved my life. He's made me feel safe, cared for, and loved, and that's all I could ask for.

"I know, I'm ready," I defended myself, grabbing my coat as Derek stood in the doorway, waiting for me.

"Got your bag packed, sweetheart?" Derek smiled.

"Yup! Now, let's go before we're late," I replied, adjusting the strap on my duffle bag so it was more comfortable on my shoulder. Derek took a step back, letting me leave first, as he always does.

I took a deep breath, steadied myself, and walked out the door.

THE END