1 (pov. Nini)

Two weeks ago, out of the blue, my parents and Ricky's parents surprised us with something we've been waiting to happen for so long. A trip to Six Flags.

It was shocking because we've been begging them to take us for so long. We've never been before, and so the closest experience we could get was watching videos of the rides on YouTube.

We were both a little confused because every time we would ask them to take us, the dreaded 'no' would come out of their mouths. So either they finally gave in because they wanted to go themselves, or they just felt guilty for never taking us. At this point who cared? We were finally going.

Our parents told us to think of it as a back to school trip. Seventh grade would start in two weeks and so our parents wanted Ricky and I to have a memorable treat to begin the next chapter of our lives.

"Nini! Hurry! They'll be here in five minutes." Yelled one of my moms, Mama C, from the bottom of the stairs.

In a hurry, I went to the floor of my bedroom and searched, under my bed, for my black Nike sneakers. "I'm coming mom! I can't find my shoes!" I yelled back.

Frustrated, I gave up and settled on an old pair of gray converses. Definitely not the best type of shoe for an amusement park, but there wasn't time for anything else.

I put on my shoes, slipped my phone into the back pocket of my jean shorts, grabbed my mini backpack, and ran down the stairs.

"Finally Nini has made it downstairs," Said Mama D, relieved, as I made it into the living room. "C'mon, let's start loading our luggage in the car.

The Bowens arrived to our house a few minutes later. Mike, Ricky's dad, made a grand entrance by honking the horn of their SUV multiple times. My moms and I laughed as he rolled down the window on the driver's side.

"Are you ready for the Bowen and Salazar-Roberts' weekend getaway?" Mike exclaimed as he parked the car in our driveway.

"I'm ready for you to stop embarrassing me dad." I heard Ricky complain through the window.

I ran over to Ricky as he was getting out of his car.

"Hey Neens.' Said Ricky, his face lit up. I loved how he was always so happy to see me.

"Hey Ricky." I responded. I brought him in for a hug, and as I pulled away I noticed his blue shoes. "Seriously Ricky? Another pair of Vans?" I crossed my arms.

Ricky took offense. "Hey stop hating on my Vans."

"I'm not hating on your shoes, I'm just saying I find it weird that you're twelve and have like ten pairs of the same styled shoe."

"They're different colors Nini." Ricky stated matter-of-factly.

I put my hands on his shoulders and looked up into his puppy dog eyes. "As one of your best friends, I think you're a little too obsessed with Vans."

"You're not one of my best friends." Stated Ricky as he took my hands off of his shoulders. "Big Red is my only best friend." He sounded serious but I could still tell he was joking.

I decided to play along. My mouth fell open in shock. "Wow I see how it is. Well then I guess Kourtney is my only best friend."

I could tell Ricky felt guilty. He never joked about stuff like that, he was too nice. I was surprised his plan was lasting as long as it was.

"Nini I-"

I held up my hand with my palm facing him. "Speak to the hand."

I could feel Ricky's eyes staring me down. I eventually broke and started giggling.

Ricky realized I was messing with him, and playfully pushed me back. "Nini you scared me geez."

"I know." Was all I managed to say, still laughing.

"I'm serious. I thought you were actually upset with me, and I would've hated that."

"Ok so I am one of your best friends then?" I asked.

"Of course you are. I honestly don't know what I'd do without you."

I pretended to cry. "Ricky Bowen ladies and gents, the sweetest boy in the world." I tousled his dark brown curls.

A few minutes later we made our way to the airport.