[ chapter 02 ]

"What's your first and last name?" the office lady asked me from behind her desk.

"Nina. Nina Jones," I answered, trying my best not to roll my eyes for her sake.

She smiled at me and typed something on her keyboard. "Aha, here you are!" The printer beside her turned on and started to print. "I'll have your schedule for you in a second, dear."

I forced a tight smile to my face, trying to be polite. "Thanks."

The seconds ticked by slowly as the printer moved at a snail's pace. You would think at such a nice school like this they would have printers that actually worked.

To distract myself I looked around the pristine office, noticing not a speck of dust anywhere. The hallway just outside the office started to empty as the bell rang.

The lady in front of me smiled shyly, probably sensing my annoyance. She stood up, making the chair squeak. "Sometimes you just have to-"

Next thing I knew her fist was pounding onto the printer, causing me to jerk backwards by her sudden violence against the machine.

It seemed to do the trick as the printer finally spit out my schedule. The smile she sported was from ear to ear as she handed it to me. "Welcome to Yukon high school! If you have any questions about a room or where something is, ask a student, I'm sure they'd be glad to help you!"

I nodded my head, not sparing another glance at her as I looked at my schedule and walked out of the office. My patience was already running low.

The giant hallways were empty now as students had made their way to classes a minute ago. Had the printer worked at the speed it was supposed to I'd probably be in class now.

The sound of my sneakers echoed down the hall as I headed towards my science class. Room two hundred was located in front of me. Through the small window I could see it was a packed class.

I opened the door and the entire class turned to look at me at the same time, almost like they'd practiced it. Ignoring their gazes, I handed my schedule to the teacher. "I believe I'm in your class, sir."

The teacher took my schedule from my hands and lifted his glasses to get a better look at the piece of paper. While he looked over it, I glanced back at the students who were all doing a terrible job of whispering.

"Who is she?"

"Do you see those bags under her eyes?"

"Isn't it a little late to be joining the school year?"

The teacher cleared his throat and handed back my schedule, silencing the class with one look. "I'm Mr. Hall, it's nice to have you join us," he said, smiling warmly at me. "Class, this is Miss Nina Jones. She'll be a part of our class from now on."

Every student stared back blankly, some eyeing Mr. Hall while others eyed me.

"Miss Jones, would you like to tell us a few things about yourself?" Mr. Hall asked me.

"No," I replied, not caring to share anything to strangers.

Mr. Hall chuckled. "Very well then, please find an empty desk."

I did as told and noticed how big the classroom was. In the front half of the room students were sitting in normal desks. In the back half was where all of the lab tables and equipment was set up, showing the size of the classroom alone. I took a seat and set my backpack down, not bothering to take anything out of it yet.

The girl beside me was staring me down, leaning halfway out of her chair as she pushed up the circular glasses on her nose. "I'm Shelly."

The name Shelly seemed to be a good fit for her. From the looks of it, it seemed like she was a loner nerd. People sat around her, but no one actually spoke to her.