|5| The Interview

Thursday morning, Naris was pacing around the office. Christina had an interview in fifteen minutes and she hadn't shown up. He was worried she'd bail out. He didn't want her shaking her ass in the strip club every night when he could offer her a decent job. That was not the look he needed his girl to have.

"Naris, sit down." Shayy walked out of her office to see him pacing the floor.

"Ma. What if she doesn't show? I'm worried about her." He said followed with a heavy sigh.

"Boy, you are in love." Shayy laughed. "Cool out. She'll show if she wants. I'm here. I have time for her. If she's what you say she is, she'll be here. Go get me a frappe while your waiting."

"Starbucks? Strawberries and cream?"

"Yes. Thanks love." She went back into her office and he left. Five minutes later, a knock came on Shayy's door. "Come in"

"Hi. Mrs. Rodriguez?" The person on the other side of the door walked in.

"Yes. You must be Christina." Shayy stood and shook her hand.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I just..." Christina began explaining but was cut off.

"Naris told me you have a lot of things going on. Are you going to be able to work eight to ten hours a day?"

"Yes. I just have to make sure I have a ride if I work after the bus stops running."

"You have a license?"

"Yes ma'am. I was in a wreck and things aren't going through with the insurance right. I have to share a car with my god sister and it's just a mess because our schedules normally conflict."

"You're good with numbers?"

"Yes. Numbers, computers, people, paperwork...I worked in a call center before and I was a cashier. I also studied statistics for the majority of college."

"So, you'll leave the stripping where it's at?"

"Huh?" She was caught off guard.

"Naris told me about that. If I give you a job in my office, I can't have you exposing yourself like that. We get a lot of attention here and outside of work with events."

"I swear, I'm done with it. It won't happen again."

"Cool. My son seems to trust and have a lot of faith in you, so I'll trust that you won't let me down. You start tomorrow. He'll walk you through today. You'll get paid for it. He'll get you set up with a desk and I'm sure he'll be asking if you can be an assistant soon." Shayy smiled. "Here's the keys to a company car. He'll show you that and I'll have my assistant go through your paperwork. Sunday through Thursday 8-5, or Monday through Thursday, 8-7?"

"Which does Naris work the most?"

"Sunday through Tuesday, he's here 8-4, Wednesday 8-7 and Thursday 12 to 7."

"You're closed on Friday and Saturday?"

"Yes ma'am. All holidays as well."

"I'll take the Sunday through Thursday." She replied.

"Alright." Shayy shook her hand again. "Welcome to the team." Once Naris knocked, she opened the door and took her drink and left the two alone.

"You came."

"And I got the job. Thank you for talking to your mom."

"No problem." He smiled.

"I didn't know you were mixed."

"I'm not."

"Oh...you're adopted?"

"Shit, I guess you can say that." He laughed. "My biological mom was my dad's twin sister. She died at fourteen years old and my uncle took care of me like his own. Never knew my biological father. My dad married Shayy when I was 11. She's been nothing but a mother to me and Natasha. We appreciate that. She doesn't treat us like outsiders."