Chapter 14

We race through the trees as fast as we can; Ryan's pack giving it their all to catch us. I'm in hot water now and, because of the bridge, I bet Chase is in for it too - since I accidentally humiliated them in front of the Omega of all wolves. They don't want to give the impression that they are weak after all; especially not Ryan in front of the rest of his pack. I lead the way towards my house, which actually backs out onto the woods. My mum bought a small section of the woods for my 16th birthday as a special present for my new pets. Yes, Pippin is a good dog and she will attack anyone that threatens me but there's no harm in having back up, is there?

Just as we get about half a mile from my house, the adrenaline wears off and my leg almost instantly collapses from underneath me as I put my weight on it. I put my hands out as I hit the ground to stop myself from giving myself another head wound. Chase immediately skids to a halt and comes back for me and helps me up. I know I can't get up; but I'm gonna need to try for this to work. But Chase can't stay here - they'll hurt him if he stays.

"Chase, you gotta get out of here!" I partially yell at him due to the pain as he helps me to my feet.

"No, no way!" He replies, his voice offering no argument. "I'm not gonna leave you here to get hurt by those thugs."

We both look around as a twig snaps and one of the pack members yells "They're over here!" We don't have the time to be arguing. I need to convince him to go on without me. I know what Chase will do if he stays and his body, like my own, won't be able to take it without him getting seriously hurt or without him ending up in hospital.

Or worse.

"I won't get hurt. But you need to go." I snarl to cut him off as he goes to protest and he immediately shuts up surprisingly. "Keep running straight; my house is just up ahead. When you get within bolting distance of the door, let out a distress howl; then get inside as fast as you can." I command, turning him so that's he's facing the direction of my house and give him a rough shove from behind to send him on his way.

"What about you?" He asks as he runs a few paces, then hesitates to turn and face me.

"I'll be fine. Go! Now!" I say. Chase hesitates for a second longer, then turns his back on me and runs as fast as he can for my place. I know he will push himself as hard as he can to get to my place and give the howl for my sake; that's the only reason he's left me here after all.

I limp after him as fast as I can; even though I know it's not gonna do much good. I stumble forward over a rock sticking out of the floor almost instantly as I try to go after him and I don't bother picking myself back up. I can smell the scent of blood radiating from my leg and I know that Ryan's pack and my pets will be able to smell it for miles. I flip myself onto my back, my wolf ears and tail making another appearance as I wait for the pack to appear. If this goes wrong, at least Chase is safe and won't be able to be touched by Ryan's pack.

Just as Chase gives out the howl, Ryan's pack appears and they slow to a trot, then a walk as they spot me lying in the dirt. Ryan wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and then smiles at me. "Where's the Omega? Abandoned you, did he?" He asks as he strides towards me. I don't give a response and this results in him planting his foot in the middle of my chest and pushing me hard into the ground.

They haven't come. Maybe it only works if I howl.

"No one here to save you now." laughs Ryan, suddenly punching me in the face so hard it makes blood explode from my nose. His knee comes crashing down on my chest and I swear he's trying to squash all the air out of me; or perhaps even suffocate me to the point where I faint.

I let out a loud cry of pain, louder than necessary and howl out my distress. The pack laughs and they close in, changing into wolf form as they do so. They're gonna make me suffer badly unless my pack shows up in this moment, right now. I can only hope Chase has the sense to stay by the house; despite me being in distress. My pack may mistake him for a threat and I don't want them to hurt him.