Chapter 2

That was when the chateau got a guest...

The pair, JJ and Kiara, were down at the beach a walk away from the Chateau; while Kie hadn't touched her board since the accident, JJ used his as an escape. After his morning high of 2 beers, he would hit the water with Kie silently following along. She would sit on the beach. The sand beneath her and the view of JJ's board slicing through the wave was her meditation.

There was a girl walking the roads of Outer Banks. She had a backpack off one shoulder and a duffel in the opposite hand. Her army green pencil knee length skirt and satin white blouse did not make her fit in but with her head down no one seemed to take notice. The girl walked past the reeds separating the bank and water. Past the hammock that hung haphazardly. Up the stairs to the deck. Past the bench. To the door. She reached the door and knocked. "Hello" "Excuse me, hello" After no response, she let the bag slide from her shoulder and the orange duffel from her hand and stepped over the threshold, through into the front room. Her walk was slow and deliberate. She took each step as if she would break the floorboards. The bed's sheets showed signs of someone sleeping in them the night before. She examined the rest of the house with obsessive care, fingering each knick-knack and picture which lined the tables and walls.

She stopped dead when she came to a picture of a man and what was presumed to be his wife. They had a toddler by their knees, showing off a toothy grin. Her hands traced her the frame and came to rest on the man's face. Her movements speed up as she removed the picture from the mount and walked back to the deck. She settled on the stairs with her bags tucked next to her. She sat, unmoving, staring blankly at the photograph.

She didn't even stir when her JJ and Kiara returned. As soon as she was in their sight, they looked at each other, silently asking if they had any information on this out of place girl. JJ dropped his board and broke into jog, following Kiara. They called out to her, finally breaking the girl out of her trance. She jumped up the photo hanging by her side.

"Who are you" JJ demanded.

"Do you know these people, as in whose house this is? The Routledges? Do you know where they are?" She rambled. She was gesturing to the picture throughout her stream of questions.

"what do you want with the Routledges?" JJ asked stepping closer. The steel in his voice was undeniable.

"Who are you" Kie reiterated before the girl could respond to JJ, she held her hand over JJ's chest in a subtle act to calm him.

The girl seemed to swap her desperate yet direct attitude for a welcoming grin and confident posture. "right, sorry I must have left my manners somewhere else," she said with a dismissing shake of her head, "I am Jessica." the girl stuck out her hand

"Jessica Routledge"

Authors Note – So who is Jessica and why is she here? Any better than the last? Hopefully, thanks for reading and go check out my Instagram @obx_thatpoguelife_ if you want more Outer Banks fan-based content.