CHAPTER 26: PART 1

I drove into the parking lot of the mall and parked the car. I turned to the others and just caught them staring. Emma was holding Miles hand so tight his knuckles were white; Miles was staring straight ahead while Dylan had his jaw dropped.

"guys we're here" I said" why do you guys look shocked?"

"that was fast' Dylan said finally closing his mouth.

"that wasn't even fast at all" Miles arched an eyebrow.

"130km per hour isn't fast? You're lucky the cops didn't see you"

I rolled my eyes and got out of the car.

We walked into the mall and went straight to get a dress. I'm not really a dress person but Emma looked so excited in getting the dress so I tagged along. We went to the first store full of dresses, I rolled my eyes at this and followed them. We spread out in search of the perfect dress.

I walked aimlessly down the aisles staring at nothing in particular.my eye caught a bright pink hoodie sitting on the shelves. I pulled it out and put it against my chest to check the size and yup it was my size. I continued walking down the aisle until I bumped into Dylan who held two dresses in his hand.

"what're you doing?" he asked "we're supposed to be looking for dresses"

I shrugged "I found this cute hoodie, can I get it?"

"dresses," Dylan groaned.

I jotted my bottom lip out and pouted opening and closing my eyes. He rolled his eyes.

"fine, you can get it but from now we search for a dress, yeah?"

I groaned "fine" we walked down to the dressing room where Miles and Emma sat going through some dresses. Emma threw me two gowns and nudged me into the dressing room. I groaned and tested them, too short and too shiny. I tried on four more dresses but I liked none.

"pick one hazel, you're being annoying" Emma groaned. Dylan picked up a peach dress that reached just above the knee with a big bow behind. I took it from him and wore it. I looked in the mirror and gasped. It looks so pretty.

"like it?" I heard someone say from the door. I turned to face Dylan with a grin.

"if I was underdressed?"

"way to spoil a moment Hazel" he laughed out. I laughed too and came out to show the others. Emma almost started crying while miles held her. I rolled my eyes at them. We went to the counter to pay, I dropped both the dress and hoodie to be checked out. We paid actually Dylan did after pushing my face away.

"yay, time for me to drive" I sang walking to the driver's seat but Miles intercepted me. "maybe I should drive"

"y, it's my car" I said trying to get past his huge figure, mind you trying to.

"so that at least we'll be sure we get home in one piece" Dylan shouted from the other side of the car. I rolled my eyes but got in the back though.

Alan p.o.v

We all sat round the table staring at the parcel before us.it was of medium size, wrapped neatly with a tag that read happy birthday Hazel from James.

"so? Who's going to tell her" Ivan asked. We all eyed each other. Who was going to tell her that her step dad sent a birthday present from jail.

"you know it could be a bomb inside" Percy exclaimed. We all rolled our eyes but didn't shake the realization that it may be true.

"let's just leave it until the party is over" Simon suggested. We all agreed and dispersed.

Hazel p.o.v

"so uneventful" I huffed once Miles pulled into the driveway. He was going slower than a grandmother. We all got out and went into the house. It was already decorated with a lot of balloons and streamers. There was a long table filled with all sorts of food, a set up stage for the band and chairs for the guests.

Emma and I went up to my room to get ready for the party, she helped me do my hair and put on my dress paired with some sea green heels. I looked at myself in the mirror absolutely speechless. Emma came up behind me and placed her arm around my shoulder.

"you look great" she said squeezing my shoulder and grinning. I smiled back at her and placed my head on her shoulder.

Music was already playing by the time we got downstairs and there were a lot of people both those I knew and those I'd never seen before. They probably invited the entire school but who cares.

We walked over to get a drink, Caleb stood at the bar handing out drinks to all those who asked for it.

"happy birthday, Hazel" he said with a smirk plastered on his face "what can I get her majesty?" I rolled my eyes and ordered a coke while Emma took Fanta. We kept walking through the crowd saying thank you to all those who wished me a happy birthday.

'got to bounce you're on your own" Emma said as she spotted Miles. I chuckled and let her go. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to face the person. Derek.

"hey Derek, didn't know you'll show up" I said smiling cheekily.

"who can miss a good opportunity to party?" he said cocking his eyebrow playfully. I rolled my eyes just as I felt a pat on my shoulder, I turned to face Dylan. Derek was glaring at him and so was he.

"so? Why don't you guys get to know each other? Great?" I turned and left quickly. I risked a glance back and both of them were just glaring at each other. Then I bumped into someone spilling their drink on my dress and the person's dress. I looked up at the blonde. Stephanie. I've seen her with Simon before. She looked at me with anger and disgust written all over her face.

"you just ruined my dress" she hissed at me. I looked down at my peach dress covered with an orange liquid while her black dress was showing no color distortion at all. One of the girls with her whispered something and she turned back to me this time her scowl gone.

"hazel, I see, it's nice to meet you, I'm Stephanie" her smile was so fake I could easily have ripped it off her face. I walked past her also with a smile plastered on my face. I grabbed a napkin and dabbed at my dress trying to wipe away the liquid and probably the anger that rose in me every second I dabbed at it. I looked around for Emma but I didn't see her then I saw Alan walking over to me. He stared at my dress in surprise.

"ok, what happened to your dress?" he asked.

"some girl bumped into me and poured her drink all over me"

"sorry but you need to cut your cake" I groaned as he led me to my huge cake. Everybody surrounded it. I blew my candle, made my wish and cut my cake. Everybody sang the birthday song for me. Then the party continued.

I sat on a chair staring down at my dress which was perfect a few minutes ago.

"hey Hazel" I heard Dylan say. I turned to him and grinned.

"how'd it go with Derek?" I asked as he sat beside me.

He gulped down his drink first "good, we actually have somethings in common but does not mean we are friends" I chuckled. "so about my present, how about we go now" I shrugged and stood up. He led me outside to his car.

"where are we going?" I asked as I called shotgun.

"it's a surprise" he replied driving off. I rolledmy eyes. This better be good.