24

the butterfly effect

ATHENA KNOCKS ON THE DOOR, SHIFTING UNCOMFORTABLY ON THE FRONT PORCH. Almost hesitantly, the front door opens and Bonnie peaks her head out, eyebrows furrowing when she sees Athena standing before her.

Wiping her cheeks, Bonnie stepped into the doorway. "Athena, what– what is it? Is Damon okay?"

Athena nods, struggling to find her words. "He's, uh, confused, I think. I haven't talked to him a lot, honestly."

Bonnie nods knowingly, leaning against the doorway.

"I, um," Athena swallows through the thickness in her throat. "I just wanted to say sorry, Bonnie. I shouldn't have made Grams push herself that hard, I was just scared, I couldn't– I never meant for any of this to happen, I was just–"

"Athena," Bonnie lays a hand on her arm, eyes watering again at the nearly hysterical girl. "It isn't your fault. She would've killed you if she hadn't stopped when she did."

"I was so scared, I knew Katherine wasn't in the tomb, I knew it wouldn't be that easy and I just thought if she channeled me, we could keep the tomb open for you guys to get out, and she stopped– I didn't want her to stop, but I just– I'm so sorry, Bonnie,"

Athena inhales sharply, feeling hot tears spill over her flushed cheeks. She'd barely been able to keep her tears at bay for the past two days, it seemed.

Bonnie shakes her head, tears of her own sliding down her cheeks. "It's not your fault, I promise. It isn't your fault."

The brunette shakes her head, lunging for Bonnie and encasing her in an almost painful hug. "I'm sorry. You don't deserve this."

Bonnie startles at the girl's outward comfort, but her shoulders begin to heave and Athena just holds her tighter, letting her cry into the fabric of her sweater.

Athena holds the girl against her, her own tears falling silently as the girl grieves for her grandmother. And even if it was only for a moment, the past remained in the past, and the two teenage girls began to understand that if they were going to be in this life, they were going to have to work together.

The thought didn't seem so bad.

──────

Her boots scuffed along the dirt as Athena came to a stop outside of the tomb door. She sat on the folded blanket she'd brought days ago, clearing her throat slightly as Stefan came into sight.

For a moment, the ache in her chest dwells, only reappearing when she is reminded of his imprisonment. "Hi,"

Stefan smiles slightly, mirroring her position on the ground. "How have you been?"