chapter seven

Staring my inevitable death in the face— that's like the tenth time this week, got to be a record.

At this point, I've become so conditioned to the constant death surrounding me that I'm not even phased. That, and the fact that I will never allow myself to be slain at the hands of a coward.

For eleven years I have been a padawan; my master has taught me everything he knows, and he is among the best.

The infamous General stood on guard, towering over the dozens of battle droids that crowded the hangar. My mind raced, planning my next move as my fighter was drawn closer and closer.

Breathe. Jedi have no place for fear. Focus. This was my time to shine, time to show the Council I can handle myself.

Before my ship even fully docked, I released the cockpit's canopy and leaped behind some stacks of crates. I was certain Grievous took notice, for his despicable presence grew closer by the second.

"Guard the Jedi's ship— she's not leaving," I heard him order the battle droids, followed by a few scattered roger rogers. Guess I'll have to find a new way out.

I prepared myself for Grievous' attack as I felt him only meters away— I had to think quick.

He appeared suddenly behind the crates, his blue and green lightsabers illuminating my hiding spot.

"Hello there," I smirked, darting around the corner. Grievous charged after me, clearly not in the mood for jokes— good thing I've got plenty more in store.

His yellow eyes glowed full of rage when I was no where to be found.
"Up here, bitch," he turned to see me pacing along a row of crates about 30 feet above him.
"You're dead, Jedi," he seethed.
"Not yet." I sprung down, igniting my lightsaber midair, slashing it toward Grievous.

He blocked my strike and countered it with his second lightsaber. His fighting style was sloppy, using purely aggression and hate, but his strength made up for that. The fast paced and forceful motions left me mostly on the defensive, backing up with every hit. I parried another slice and he held the collided lightsabers inches from my face. Nearly overpowered, I kicked him straight in the lower stomach. Coming into contact with the pure metal— smart moment, I know— only sent me stumbling back, Grievous did not budge.

My weakening body slammed onto the floor and I winced in pain. Grievous' looming shadow hung over me, ready to finish me off.
"Perhaps the next Jedi I encounter will put up more of a fight," he chuckled.
"Good thing you won't live til then." I used my last ounce of energy to throw Grievous back with the force, a tower of crates falling onto him.

I seized my chance and ran through the hangar, slashing battle droids left and right, dodging and deflecting their blaster bolts.

Finally reaching the corridor, I sliced through the control panel with my lightsaber, hopefully slowing down Grievous even more. Suddenly, my com-link began to beep.

"Vienna? Are you alright?" Obi-Wan's voice came through as I answered the call.
"Yes, Master Kenobi, but I'm not sure for how long. Grievous is likely to be on my tail any moment," I said as fast as I could, extremely out of breath trying to get a good enough head start on the General.

"We're coming to get you," another voice said; I assumed it to belong to Anakin.
"No no no— you guys stick to the mission, I will figure this out." My ego cannot survive Anakin having to rescue me again.

Obi-Wan spoke up, "We know you can handle it, but you need to get out of there. Head back to the rendezvous point, we'll meet you there." As much as I didn't want help, I had to admit that engaging Grievous was not the top of my wish list.

Dashing through the halls of the Malevolence, fleeing from my enemy's assured attempt at revenge, my stomach sank when I sensed another presence.

Rounding a corner, I crashed into someone running toward me. While nearly tumbling onto my ass, I managed to catch enough of the person's face to see that it was Anakin. Before I could fully open my mouth and question what he was doing out here, he placed his gloved hand over it and widened his eyes, urging me to be quiet.

He quickly led me behind the door to a small room in the wall, and closed it. The area was tight and dark, most likely used as storage for the cleaning droids.

"Do you mind telling me what this is all about?" I angrily whispered once we were safe inside and he finally removed his hand.
"Obi-Wan is going to find Grievous. I came to get you," he said a little too nonchalant.
"What?!" I shouted.

"Shhh—" The stomping of battle droid after battle droid past the door answered my question for him. Oh no, because of me Grievous must know that Jedi are on board. He's sending the droids to search for us.

I was listening so intently that I almost didn't notice how close I was to Anakin. My chest practically touched his and I could faintly feel his heart beating. Normally, if we weren't about to die, perhaps I would have shoved him away or think up a clever insult. But the odd thing is, I felt a strange, unfamiliar comfort in his close presence, like I finally didn't have to face the world on my own.

My thoughts were interrupted when Anakin turned his head toward me; he must have realized how quiet it had become as well.

I met his eyes, which peered down at me from his tall stature, looking way more gentle than I was used to. His face was only a few inches from mine and— wait. the mission. What the hell am I doing?

Suddenly, I backed away a couple of feet. Anakin did as well, a flash of hurt in his eyes before he lowered his gaze to the floor.

"We need to go back to the docking platform," I stated firmly, opening the door. "It's clear."

He nodded and started after me, but very slowly, his mind still clouded with confusion.

"Coming?" I looked back to him. "You okay Skywalker?"

Anakin let out a short laugh. "I really cannot figure you out, Vienna Kryze."

Not entirely sure what he was trying to say, I returned a slightly confused laugh supposing it was another one of his lame jokes. He eventually caught up to me and we started again on our mission.

But I still couldn't shake that feeling away. Jedi were trained to ignore such feelings, but for a reason I cannot yet explain, I didn't want to ignore this one.

A/N: i cANT write romantic scenes if i've nEVER BEEN IN A ROMANTIC SITUATIONSLDKWBD so i apologize if that was bad lmao

i also apologize if the fight scene was weird- i kid you not i rewrote it like 40 times bc it kept sounding like vienna and grievous were flirting HAHAHAHA (grievous is daddy tho don't get me wrong but this is an ani story yk yk)