prologue

"I am speaking, praying, to whatever is out there. Things are starting to get a little scary. I don't want to have to do this, but my family is in danger. I don't know what to do. I shouldn't have to be worrying about this, I'm only sixteen. I should be having fun, and making fun of Potter at school. I shouldn't be worried about this, I shouldn't be tasked with this. Sometimes, it makes me hate my parents for bringing me up this way, around all this death. But I know it's no longer their choice. But, maybe Potter can stop this. Someone, anyone. Maybe there's a way out of this, a light at the end of the tunnel. I want to believe there is. So, I'm asking for a sign. I'm asking for anything to tell me there's hope, and that whatever I do, my family and friends will stay safe, from him—" Draco was interrupted when his mother opened the door, making him scramble out of his position of prayer. She gave him an odd look, wondering why he was so startled. Nonetheless, she spoke.

"It's time, darling. Come downstairs. Don't make him wait any longer." She spoke seriously, a hint of remorse in her voice. But there was nothing anyone could do now. No matter if he gets this mark, no matter what the Dark Lord asks him to do, he was going to wait for that sign. He believed he'd get a sign.