Courting

Disclaimer: I do not own The Vampire Diaries or any recognizable people or places.

This is my first foray into the Vampire Diaries universe so please be kind.

A month after the wedding between Thorsten and Emeline, Calynn still felt like there was something she was missing, like she had forgotten something important. And ever since the wedding she had felt unease around Mikael and she couldn't figure out why.

It was like his stares had gotten even more intense and she thought she had caught him taking a deep breath of her hair and adjusted his breaches at one point but she might just have been mistaken or something.

Calynn took a deep breath and raised her hand to knock on the Mikaelson's door. She had promised to help Henrik learn how to play Tic-Tac-Toe, also known as three in a row. As she waited for the door to open, she thought about the future and what she could change and what she could not.

She was knocked out of her thoughts by the door opening and she looked up with a smile, expecting Finn or Elijah but her whole body froze as she came face to face with Mikael.

"Greetings, Calynn." Mikael smiled at her while his eyes traveled her body and Calynn suddenly felt like she wasn't wearing enough clothes. "What brings you here today?"

"I promised Henrik that I would tech him how to play Tic-Tac-Toe." Calynn felt slightly surprised that her voice was steady while something inside her was screaming at her that something was wrong.

"Ah, yes, he hasn't stopped bragging to his siblings that you promised to teach him first." Mikael nodded. "Come in."

While Mikael opened the door wider for her and stepped aside to let her enter, he didn't move a lot which resulted in Calynn having to press past him to get inside and she would swear that she heard him moan lowly.

Before she could start analyzing and trying to figure out what was going on, Henrik ran up to her and grabbed her hand.

"Calynn, you're here!" Henrik dragged her towards the big room. "I was getting bored as all of my siblings and my mother are out right now and father doesn't really have time to play me."

"The rest of your siblings are not around then?" Calynn tried to sound teasing while some of her instincts screamed at her to get out of there.

"Yeah, but Finn looked very disappointed about not being here when you were coming." Henrik looked confused. "I guess he really wanted to learn to play Tic-Tac-Toe."

"I guess so." Calynn murmured with small smile and a blush.

Calynn proceeded to teach Henrik Tic-Tac-Toe and several variations of the game for the next three hours, all the while ignoring the burning stare that roved along her body every few minutes.

It was getting close to dinner time and Calynn could see that Henrik was getting hungry but none of his siblings had come back yet so Calynn offered to make some food that would feed the entire Mikaelson family.

"Can I help?" Henrik asked softly.

"That's up to your father." Calynn smiled down at him.

"Father may I help Cal with dinner?" Henrik looked at his father, making sure his eyes were big and pleading.

Mikael looked at Henrik before turning to Calynn and then he turned back towards Henrik, "You know I do not like men doing a women's work."

Calynn had to bite her tongue not to snarl that she would show him a 'women's work'. Fucking sexist pig! That of course, most men in this time were sexist and that was something Calynn had been trying to change but progress was slow.