An Unforeseeable Fate

The burn is like the darkest night against his pale skin, spreading over his body and reaching for every bit of life it can get. Looking at him in this state brings me to my knees at his side, gingerly touching his face. He doesn't stir at all, lying like a corpse on the floor. Ice sinks into my soul, piercing icicles slowly sinking into my heart.

My breathing picks up as thoughts race through my mind. Tremors shake the hands pulling Jasper onto my lap. I cradle his head and gently urge him to wake up, but the dark lines crawling along his veins only increase. The room shrinks around us, like the air is leaving us.

Close to screaming from panic, I instinctively screw my eyes shut and call out to my sister.

"Azhara! Azhara! Please, I need your help!"

"Jordan? What's wrong, what happened?!"

"It's Jasper, he got hit by the newborn's magic, he collapsed and he isn't waking up. Can you help? How do I save him?"

"...Jordan, listen to me carefully. I need you to tell me exactly what the area that got hit looks like, okay?"

"It, er, it's like a really bad burn. Blackened skin, you know? Um, and it's tracking his veins, I think. What does that mean?"

"..."

"Azhara?"

"...I'm so sorry, Jordan. There's nothing we can do."

"What? No! There has to be something! We just got engaged, Zara, he can't die, not now!"

"The magic is too strong! I've only ever read about it. That kind of Eala is from Kalan's time, no one knows how to cure it anymore, we lost that knowledge centuries ago!"

"No. No, I will save him. I will not let him die!"

"I am really sorry, but I can't help. Whatever you do, I hope it works."

The connection breaks off, leaving me even more frantic than before. Alice, Emmett, Rosalie, Esme, even Bree are hovering around, lost on what to do. My other half is dying and no one knows what to do. No one can do anything...except me.

Azhara said the knowledge came from Prince Kalan's time. I am his heir, my magic is  the only kind like his left in the world. If there is anyone able to save Jasper, it's me.

"Get it together, Jordan," I mutter, taking a deep breath in and gathering him closer to me, "get it together. He needs you."

A hand lightly touches my shoulder. Two eyes, painfully similar to the ones I've grown to look for in search of strength, hover in front of me, framed by jet black hair that sticks up in all directions. There is an unnerving amount of uncertainty in them, unusual for the pixie-vampire.

"Jordan, you can do this. We believe in you."

I look at all their faces in turn, meeting their eyes, and seeing nothing but faith. My heart swells, shaking off the ice cold claws that had taken hold. Looking down at Jasper limp in my arms, I gently smooth back the hair covering his face, flinching slightly at the black lines creeping up.

"You will live, my beloved, no matter what I have to do, no matter what this costs me. You are not leaving this earth yet."

Positioning my hands on his side, still cradling his head, I venture deep inside my being to the place where my magic lies. The farthest reaches of myself, lit only by a purple flame. I grasp it and will the heat to do what I want, to flow through every cell in my body and pass to Jasper. To save him.

The darkness begins to brighten, the small flame steadily growing to engulf everything in my vision. Pain ricochets through my bones for a moment, the most agonising sensation of burning I've ever felt. Even if the vampiric change took ten years it would not come close to the molten lava racing around my body.

But it passes, and my vision clears, all the heat now pooling in my hands. My surroundings have changed; instead of the Cullens' home, a vast valley is spread out below me. It is freezing, and besides the howling wind the quiet is so extreme it presses in like oxygen slowly being drained from your lungs.

Despite the sensation of standing at the top of the world, I can feel another presence. I am not alone up here, facing a far green land, beyond which lies a city of grey stone. An ancient power gently touches my skin and connects with the magic I already have within me, bringing the heat to a nearly unbearable temperature.

Through all of this, one single thought commands control of my mind.

"Save him."

And from somewhere unseen...there is a response.

"Heed my warning, child of the purple star, days of darkness lie ahead; you must not fall to that which seeks to corrupt. The blood of kings flows through you - the blood of warriors. No others now live who have it, placing the burden of fate solely upon your shoulders. Because here in this ancient place where time began...time is finally running out."