CHAPTER 26: PART 2

The car ride was silent as Dylan concentrated on driving while I stared out of the window guessing over and over in my head what the present will be.

"are we there yet?" I asked him. He shrugged and kept quiet. I asked the same question again but he just kept shrugging so I gave up. I watched as other cars passed by, trees went in a blur and the street lights looked like they were moving.

"how could I not have noticed before?" I exclaimed slapping his arm "we're going to the pond" he laughed but nodded. I punched the air and did a little victory dance on my seat. We finally got there and he pulled over. Both of us got out and started our work through the forest. I noticed there were fire torches lighting the entire place up. It was just beautiful. We came to the clearing again; the fire flies were still hovering over the water but their time they were reflecting many colors. I just stared at it jaw dropped.

I turned and saw a neatly spread red and white checkered blanket with a candle on it and a picnic basket. I turned to a grinning Dylan.

"I'm shocked" was all I could say. He laughed and we both sat down on the blanket.

"did you enjoy your party?" he asked handing me a sandwich which I gratefully took since I had not eaten at all.

"yeah, it was cool" I replied biting into my sandwich. We ate in silence staring at the sky or the fire flies. We both laid down on the blanket and stared up.

"I love looking at the stars, I used to do it a lot when I was younger" I muttered absentmindedly.

"me too, it's amazing" he replied turning to face me. We stared at each other for a few seconds before our lips met. I just sat still savoring it before we broke away.

"sorry" Dylan said rubbing the back of his neck.

"I don't mind idiot" I replied shoving him playfully. He stood up and pulled me up too.

"tag you're it" he said tapping me before running off. I threw off my shoes and chased him round. He was just laughing and so was I. Then the unexpected happened. I slipped.

As I was about to fall, Dylan tried to catch me so I grabbed his shirt and SPLASH. Both of us fell into the pond making the fire flies to scatter around. I sat up in the pond and stared at an equally dazed Dylan. I looked down at my dress that was covered in mud and soaking wet. I pretended to look sad and started to make myself tear up.

"oh my gosh, I'm so sorry Hazel" Dylan said trying to wad over to me. He fell face first into the water making to giggle but as he stood up he slipped and fell again. I burst into laughter forgetting my former performance. Dylan looked at me and pouted. I continued to laugh because his pouting added to the effect of the mud that covered his face. He came over to me and picked me up bridal style before carefully walking out of the water. We finally made it out alive without falling inside again. Dylan put me down before grabbing his jacket and putting it around me.

"I'm so sorry, this was not meant to happen" he said chuckling. I rolled my eyes.

"meant to happen or not, this was amazing"

"one more thing," he said blushing "I was wandering if you'll like to be my girl?" he asked closing his eyes. I pecked his cheek and whispered a yes. He picked me up and turned me around 'grinning widely. We packed our stuff and headed for the car. This was the best birthday ever.

AN HOUR LATER...

I stared at the parcel in front of me first before looking up at my brothers, Dylan and Emma. The party had ended and everybody had left.

"you're sure it's from him?" I asked again. They all nodded. "I'll be in my room" I turned and walked up to my room. Locking the door, I sat on my bed and looked at the parcel. I prayed inwardly that it was not a bomb. Slowly, I opened the package. Nothing exploded and I breathed a sigh of relief. I brought out what was in the parcel. It was a picture of my mum and I that we took during our visit to the beach once. I opened the envelope inside.

"Happy birthday Hazel, you remind me of the family I once loved, the one I never had. I hope you forgive me" James. I stared at the paper confused, what exactly did he mean by this? I was going to find out.

I went down the stairs to the living room where all my brothers and my dad sat. Dylan and Emma were not here. My dad looked at me expectant.

"I want to see James" I said.      

YAY. This is the next chapter. thanks for reading. The book is slowly coming to an end just a few chapters left and i will be done. 

I'm not writing a sequel to this book. i'm so sorry it you were expecting a sequel. bye.