Secret relationships

"Hey," Bucky said softly, folding his book on his lap as finally he saw his long-awaited arrival.

His head tilted and mouth pulled at the corner into a small smile. He was still charmed by the way the petite woman stealthily snuck into his room just as she had stealthily snuck into his heart. As she closed the door behind herself and noiselessly padded across the floor toward him, Bucky locked on Natasha's bright green eyes and got butterflies all over again.

Bucky lifted the light cotton blanket he had draped over his legs and Natasha crawled in bed next to him, snuggling herself immediately into the crook of his armpit. Her right hand immediately found its spot on Bucky's chest, right in the center of his breastbone, connecting to the rhythm of his heartbeat. She nuzzled her head into his shoulder as she got comfortable while Bucky wrapped his arm warmly around her.

"I've been wondering where you were."

"I thought Steve had gone to bed, but then he suddenly went to get his sketchpad from the common room. I almost leapt out of my shorts when I saw him coming, but was able to hide behind the curtains. Unfortunately, I was there for the next 30 minutes waiting to make sure he went to sleep."

Natasha rolled an invisible crick from her neck, the product of having been a human statue in the living room for a half an hour. Bucky used his right hand to massage into her shoulder lightly and she hummed into his chest in response.

"I'm sorry you had to do that, but I'm happy you are here now." Bucky placed a peck on the top of Natasha's head, laying the book he was reading to the side to give her his full attention.

Natasha adjusted so she could look at Bucky. "How was the appointment with Shuri? You said it went well?"

Bucky nodded, petting Natasha's hair with his left hand. "Yep, she said everything looks really good, especially given the positive reports I have. Doesn't seem like I'm going to need another round."

"That's wonderful, James. I'm so glad." Natasha smiled sweetly at Bucky, her eyes sparkling and warm. "Did she ask about us again?"

"Ha, ha, yeah. She is still hoping we start dating. I can't remember what she likes to call it. She's shipping us? I never know the newfangled terms she uses." Bucky shook his head as he laughed.

Natasha rolled her eyes and giggled in response. "You didn't tell her, right?"

Bucky raised an eyebrow. "What do you think?"

Natasha looked down at where her hand lay on his chest and her face strained. "I know, I know. I just..."

Bucky placed his hand on top of hers, rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb. "You need to ask. It's ok, I know. I'm not going to tell anyone until we decide we are going to. I promise." He placed another kiss on the top of her head as he heard Natasha release an anxious breath.

When Bucky had awoken from the cryostasis procedure, he and Natasha finally had the conversation that had been building for months (and years). They both had laid themselves on the line, at long last sharing how they felt about each other. It was a giant moment for both of them, both risky and hopeful.

But then came the question of what came next. At first neither knew what to do. The simple achievement of finally getting to each other, holding each other, falling in love all over again felt like the finish line. Once they were there, they both realized that neither had thought beyond that moment. In the course of their lives, they'd never learned how to dream into a future for themselves, let alone about one with someone they loved.

After he had gotten out of the medical suite, Natasha and Bucky met the next night to talk. Bucky knew Natasha was still a bit skittish about the whole thing, but after all this time, he wasn't going to lose her. For Natasha, hearing Bucky's reasoning for undergoing the procedure was all she needed to cement her trust in him and give a real relationship a try.