1: welcome to india

Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday

I know my kingdom awaits

And they've forgiven my mistakes

I'm coming home

I'm coming home

Tell the world that I'm coming

Home 

Those final thirty minutes of the flight, we'd hovered above the city, our altitude decreasing with every passing second. Most passengers had been fast asleep or scrambling to get their things together so they'd be the first ones off the plane. I, however, had been glued to the window, eagerly drinking in the twinkling golden lights below...

"Is she awake?"

...and he sprawling highways, curved like thick golden veins around the shadows of the buildings that rose around them. Small cars trickled along the highways, their headlights like little yellow gems in the dim navy light of the early morning...

"Obviously not, dumbo. Her eyes are closed."

The impatient whispering wakes me from sleep. Sweat trickles down my forehead and absentmindedly, I brush it away with my hand.

A finger pokes into my side. "She just moved her hand."

Where am I?

"Shhhh."

"But I saw her move her hand!"

...drinking in the twinkling golden lights below.

"Hania, have you ever watched yourself sleep? You end up on the other side of the bed."

"At least I stay on the bed."

The golden lights. My first glimpse of Hyderabad in almost two years.

"Shhh! How many times do I have to tell you to be quiet when others are sleeping?"

The golden lights.

"She moved her leg, Didi, I swear!"

First glimpse of Hyderabad.

"One more word out of you and I swear—"

My eyes fly open, blinking in surprise at the brightness. I'm facing a wall, pink and covered with pencil scribbles. A light bed sheet is draped over me, and a fan hums noisily overhead.

Hyderabad?

"I'm not joking! Look!"

The rosy pink walls. The earsplitting banging of the fan, as if it is going to fall from the ceiling any moment. The veil of perspiration on my forehead.

Hyderabad.

I'm home.

"Her eyes are open!" a small voice squeaks.

That was Hania, I was sure. Always the impatient one. Turning to face them, I smile brightly. "Do you two ever stop bickering?"

Before I can say much else, Hania jumps on top of me, squealing in joy. "Nawaal Didi!" she cries. "I knew you were awake!"

"Hey!" Maheen protests. "I called dibs, Hania!"

Hania sticks out her tongue before turning her attention back to me. "I missed you so, so, so much!"