baby dragons go nomp

It was a dark cold snowy night. Samael had just arrived back from his nightly scout, settled on the frosty grounds of the mountain. He folded his wings in order to slip through the entrance of his system of caves.

However, just as he was entering his domain a soft shimmer caught his eye. Among the pale white snow was the silver looking thing. A small treasure perhaps, or maybe a small trinket left behind by a human who wandered too far into the mountain.

His hoard of shiny items had been lacking A new addition for quite some time. Samael stalked over to the object, he couldn't help but notice the thing seemed to be rather circular, almost egg-shaped.

Upon further inspection, he was surprised to find the object was in fact an egg. The poor baby could've been abandoned by its mother in the Dead season of winter. It was a common happenstance, of course, Samael could never approve. Although he didn't understand what tragic circumstances could lead up to abandoning an egg. He picked it up and a path of glimmering frost caught his attention.

The egg was not meant to be out in the cold, if it were an ice or water dragon it would have resisted the frost. The baby dragon inside could have already been dead, but Samael held onto it nonetheless. The slight chance that this dragon could be born was enough.

The egg easily filled his entire palm, which for most dragons wasn't saying much but when you were around to see The rise of humanity itself anything that filled your palm was worth keeping.

Samael let his tail drag lazily behind him as he walked, he was already exhausted from flying and now he had this egg to hatch. He didn't care about the noise it made as it clashed against scattered treasure, and scrapped against the floor of the cave.

Entering his caves he dove into his hoard and cuddled up in the warmth that the pile still retained from earlier that day. He wanted to doze off right then and there, but a soft shifting of weight in his palm caught his attention.

The slitted pupils fixated on the small creature in his claw. With a sigh, he pulled himself up and prepared a small nest of pillows he had hoarded over the past few decades. He set the egg in the makeshift nest and kept it protected as he dug through his hoard from the proper equipment to hatch an egg. He knew he had it somewhere, digging through his treasure was always a chore.

Just some dried shrub, just something flammable. The egg looked in its final stage of devolvement so once it was given the proper setting it would hatch. Hopefully... The baby was moving when he held it so he was sure it was still living.

But he still needed to hatch it soon before any damage was done to it. Finally, amongst the hoarded items, he found what he was looking for. A large ring-shaped piece of metal. It would serve as the perfect base nest for the egg.

He placed the ringlet down and set down one of his older hoarded blankets and then he set the egg in the center. Ever so careful with united a spark in his throat and spat a small flame onto the blanket.

A flame embraced the egg, melting the frost and returning safety to the baby inside. The egg was safe, now all he had to do was wait... As he laid, staring at the egg his courtesy kept nudging at him, something was off about this egg.

It looked familiar like he had seen it someone was or at least something like it. This egg was unlike most eggs, it was already bigger but there was another thing he hadn't noticed.

Maybe the shape? No, it wasn't that, or maybe it was but it wasn't what was so odd.

The color perhaps, but all dragon eggs were different and unique so he doubted that as well. Could it possibly be the patterns?