Chapter Three- Pre-Yule Ball

“So, Liv, has anyone asked you anything lately?” George questioned Livia. She had been eating dinner with the twins in an odd silence. Everyone around them was talking and laughing and complaining about their days. It had been a week since Livia found Pansy and Draco making out. livia shrugged in response to George.

“Nothing of importance. Well, to you, anyways,” Livia answered.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Fred asked. Livia sat at the Gryffindor table, where she could see Malfoy’s gang from a clear angle. She still despised the Slytherins. Obviously, there’s always an exception to the rules. In Livia’s case, it was Blaise Zabini. Every time Draco or Pansy bullied Livia during class or in the halls, when nobody was looking, Blaise would apologize. In third year, Pansy had shoved Livia in front of Buckbeak after Harry got off from his back. Buckbeak had cut Livia’s arm, which resulted in a visit to Madam Pomfrey. Blaise had come to check on Livia, and had even left her Muggle chocolate. It wasn’t even poisoned with voice-changing potions or anything. That’s when Livia Salt realized that Blaise Zabini wasn’t all bad. Granted, he didn’t act nice in front of Malfoy, but at least he had some compassion.

“Nothing, nothing. Just people have asked me if I’m going to the Yule Ball and the Slytherins are bothering me and everything. Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you guys of something,” Livia clarified.

“Well, anyways,” Fred started. Livia swore these twins could not be making up all these plans without rehearsing them at night. “We think we should get Snape this week. He’s been acting very mysterious lately, and I see him with Karkaroff from Durmstrang a lot lately. Plus, we haven’t pranked anyone in a week; we have a reputation to hold up here, Liv.”

“I know, I know. I’ve been waiting to see who you’re targeting. And yes, I do see Snape being mysterious, but don’t get me involved in this one. I might need Snape on my side later. Pansy is giving me the look.” Livia replied. It’s true -from just the right angle, Livia could feel the glares on her face. And she knew only Pansy would do such a thing at this time.

“Well, since you don’t want to know about this and Snape may use Veritaserum on you later, we’ll go and figure this out,” George smiled. Livia nodded, and the twins left her alone.

Livia finished her dinner in silence and left the Great Hall.

***

It was official. Everyone was talking about the Yule Ball, which was five days away. Hardly anyone was going home before the Ball, but rather after the Ball. Livia was no stranger to seeing everyone gossip about the Ball.

In the Slytherin Common Room, everyone was cheering and laughing over the Yule Ball. Livia was there too, although nobody had really noticed or cared. Malfoy’s gang was talking about Draco’s date, Pansy, and the other Slytherins wouldn’t bother Livia unless if Malfoy started it. Livia sat in the corner of the room, where a chair rested. The chair was old and worn out from others and age, but it was still usable and comfy. Plus, nobody else used it, so it was perfect for Livia. She didn’t have to worry about anyone trying to take her seat or bully her out of it.

“Hey,” Livia looked up from her book to find Blaise Zabini’s infamous smirk pointing at her.

“What’s up, Zabini?” Livia smirked in response.

“Why aren’t you celebrating? Don’t you have a dance for the Ball?” Blaise questioned.

“No, nobody asked me to go with them. I guess everyone’s afraid I’ll ‘ruin their reputation,’” Livia replied, quoting what Pansy had told her in the bathroom a week ago. “What about you? I bet every girl in this school would kill for four hours with you.”

“Oh really?” Blaise teased. Livia saw his smirk grow even wider. “And what about you, Salt?”

“It would be four hours I’d wish to take back,” Livia laughed. “But seriously, who did you ask to go with you?”

“Daphne Greengrass. She’s a friend of Pansy. Her sister, Astoria, is also going with Goyle, I think,” Blaise answered.

“Oh,” Livia didn’t know what to say. Daphne was as much an enemy as Pansy was. Daphne had taken part in some of the wicked plots Pansy had devised over the past years. Blaise deserved to go with someone nice and funny, maybe a Hufflepuff, but for appearances (Livia could just tell) he was forced to go with Daphne.

Astoria Greengrass was a nicer person than Daphne. Astoria didn’t deserve anyone as much of a douchebag as Goyle. Astoria deserved someone sweet and caring, like Blaise. Blaise deserved Astoria, and Goyle deserved Daphne. And obviously Pansy deserved Malfoy.

“Well, I think you should go to the Ball, regardless if anyone asks you to go. The way the professors are talking about this, it’s big. Plus, it’s the first time there’s a fourth champion for the Triwizard Tournament. It’s huge. And nobody wants to miss it just because someone with testosterone didn’t ask them,” Blaise told Livia, which caused her to crack a smile.

“If I go, I know Pansy will do something,” Livia mumbled, but somehow, over the chatter and laughter of Slytherins, Blaise heard.

“Nah, she’ll be too busy dancing with Draco to think if you’re there. She won’t do anything, especially when there are too many Professors at one place at one time. Although, I would suggest you keep your wand with you at all times,” Blaise whispered. Livia nodded.

******

“Livia!” Someone had shouted from behind her. Livia turned around from the hall leading to the Slytherin common rooms to find Harry Potter panting as he had run from Transfiguration, which was a long distance from the dungeons.

“Hey, Harry,” Livia smiled at the raven-haired boy.

“Would you...liketogototheballwithme?” Harry wheezed out in one breath. Livia took a double take. She had heard Harry; she just couldn’t believe that someone like him with such popularity would ask the laughingstock of the grade to go to the Yule Ball.

“Um...I asked if you wanted to go to the Yule Ball with me?” Harry hesitated, unsure if she heard.

“I heard, Harry,” Livia gave an uneasy laugh. She wanted to go with Harry, but she didn’t want to bring him into the Slytherin bullying Livia had had four years to endure.

“I-If you don’t want to go, I understand,” Harry stated, but Livia objected.

“No, I do want to go with you, I just don’t want Pansy and the others to bully you for it,” Livia said. She knew he’d just tell her to forget he had asked her, and now she had lost a friend. And she thought Harry was awesome. She didn’t want to lose such an amazing person just because of the stupid Slytherins.

“Nobody will try anything with me around,” Harry cracked a smile.

“I hope you’re right.” Livia nodded. She heard some shouting and laughing and knew the Slytherins were arriving at the dungeons, presumably to go to sleep.

“I-is that a yes?” Harry checked, and Livia nodded, smiling at his uncertainty. Livia leaned over to him. She pecked his cheek quickly, and turned to enter the Slytherin common room.

“See you tomorrow, Harry,” Livia told the Gryffindor as he ran out of the dungeons and towards the Gryffindor Tower. Livia walked into the Slytherin common rooms, her steps echoing with a bounce of her small and delicate heels.

She was so exuberant over the fact that someone asked her to the Ball that she didn’t even notice that Pansy had hexed her blankets on such a cold night. The warmth in her chest was enough to keep Livia warm for the night, anyways.