xiv. hogsmeade

"I REALLY DON'T KNOW what celebratory present I should gift you after you dominate the third task," Arden pondered, walking alongside Cedric. "And I mean completely annihilate all competition. Krum? Don't know him, is he a rugby player? Fleur? Sounds like that could potentially be the French word for wind. No hate to Harry though, he clearly is at your level despite being a foot shorter and two years younger."

"I am so grateful to have your unconditional support in my life," Cedric replied, looking down at her with a half smile. His half smiles — the ones where only one side of his mouth was tugged at the corner — gave him an unfair advantage in conversation. How was she supposed to reply when he looked at her like that? Actually, now that she thought about it, if he even looked at Arden — half smile or not — she was doomed.

"I know, you would never have the confidence without me. I am the embodiment of that supreme mentor figure in every person's life."

"Brutal but truthful."

The small village of Hogsmeade was absolutely delightful this time of year. The surrounding forest was beginning to bloom a variety of colors and blossoms, and the weather was warm but not gross. And to make things better, since everyone was outside enjoying the pleasant temperatures, the shops remained, for the most part, empty.

"Where do you what go to first? Tempted by a nice, chilled glass of ye old butterbeer?" Arden spoke, "Or are you going to be boring and go to that one quidditch shop. What is it called again? Splinter's Sporting Goods?"

"Splintwitches Sporting Needs," he corrected, amused by her uninterested expression, "And no, I was thinking more so along the lines of Honeydukes or Zonkos."

"Why those? I mean I'll follow you anywhere, especially to Honeydukes, but those are the last places I'd expect you to go, considering the amount of sweets your fans sent you after the second task. Also, a joke shop? Okay Fred and George." Arden wrapped her hands around his arm as she walked beside him, slightly leaning her head on his shoulder.

"Well, if I'm being honest I wanted to buy you one of those boxes of chocolate cauldrons since I missed Valentine's Day. I know how much you like them from that one trip during fourth year," Cedric grinned, turning his head to look down at her. "Also, Zonkos because I want to buy a nose biting tea cup to use on Finn."

"Getting into pranks now I see," Arden giggled, "But please no! Do not get me the chocolate cauldrons, you don't need to spend any money on me. Being here with me is my hearts biggest desire!" She poked one of his cheeks as he smiled down at her, completely mesmerized.

"I'm still going to buy you something, only you'll never know. And you'll only receive it after I dominate the third task. Now, are you still up for that butterbeer you mentioned before?"

"Yeah okay, stay confident that I won't find out whatever it is you're getting me," she sneered, turning her head back to face forward. "And yes, I am still down for that butterbeer."

"I cannot believe your father sent me a card about how proud he is of you," Arden laughed, folding up the parchment and placing it on the table. Before they went to the Three Broomsticks, Arden stopped at the post office to see if her mother had returned any of her letters. Instead of finding a reply from her mother, however, she was pleasantly surprised to find a tidy envelope from Amos Diggory.

"This is mortifying," Cedric muttered, staring down at the letter under her hands. "I am so sorry."

"For what? I already love Amos as it is, but this just makes that adoration that much stronger," she grinned cheekily, giggling as she noticed how red his cheeks were becoming. "Did you apply your SPF today? Because you're looking a little red Diggy."