iv.

"Hey, Ced, it's me. It's the first time I come here alone and I feel like my energy's being sucked out of my body. Maybe you'd think I'm crazy, coming here, talking to no one— No, who am I trying to fool? You were too good of a person to judge me. You always had this gentle smile that could save me from myself a hundred times and you didn't even know it. I'm sorry you were gone so soon, you deserved a long, happy life —God knows it. I just hope you remember me as much as I remember you, wherever you are right now," Zara's voice trembled slightly, and the girl cleared her throat so that her voice would not break for good. "This is the last place I saw you at. The place where Harry brought your body back. It's very different now, I think you would like it. They've put a little remembrance for you, a picture of your first year here and that uniform you wore proudly. Your father was the one to give it to the school, I believe he doesn't want you to be forgotten, but I assure you, Ced, oh, Cedric, you will never be forgotten, I promise you. A soul as kind as yours will be remembered forever."

Fresh and silent tears escaped from the girl's eyes, who had barely realized the sadness she felt at that time. The tears did not allow her to see correctly what was in front of her, but she still tried her luck: she lit a small white candle and left it next to Cedric's photo, framed in a gold frame. Nothing had changed, he was just taller and his hair was darker, but his eyes when he smiled and his delicate features remained the same.

Zara reached out so that her fingertips brushed against the glass of the photo. "I've brought you something. It's a white candle. My grandma used to say it lights up the path for those who are gone, so I hope I can help you find the light you deserve. I promise you we'll seek justice, Ced: I promise you didn't die in vain. I will do everything in my power to make this right." Zara wiped her tears hard, with rage. "I love you so much. I know you'd want me to be alright, but I can't hide it forever: my person was taken too soon from me and I have no other way to cope. I hope you can understand me. We end just like we started, you and me and no one else."

She blew one last kiss on the portrait of her best friend, whose photograph, as always, returned that frozen smile, lifeless but brilliant. Zara decided that she would not put out the candle, she simply gathered her things and went back into the castle.

It was already dark and she could get into trouble, but the truth is that the Gryffindor did not care in the least: having points taken away was nothing compared to mourning the death of her friend, so she did not think twice. She took one last look back to see that her little offering was still there and stepped into the darkness of Hogwarts.

Years ago she had held the Marauder's Map in her hands thanks to Fred and George, so now no hidden passageway or shortcut could resist her. She successfully evaded Filch and Mrs. Norris —who would occasionally stare at a fixed point as if she knew someone was passing by. She arrived at the Common Room shortly after, making sure that the tears that had descended on her face were no longer noticeable and that her eyes were not red. She rolled them when the Fat Lady scolded her for coming in later than the others, and therefore assumed she had sneaked out to cause trouble.

A lonely Harry was found glued to the fireplace in the Common Room. At first Zara thought the boy would be cold, but then she discovered that he was whispering to someone.

"What the hell?" She said aloud, causing Harry to quickly turn around and try to hide the flames with his body.

"Oh, it's just you." Zara shot him a withering look. "I mean, it's you. Ron and Hermione went to sleep a while ago, so I've contacted Sirius. Do you want to have a look?"

Zara repeated the first words she had said, however this time with some more expletive. She approached the crackling flames, and with a sense of horror found that Sirius's face was formed, smiling. "Hey, you."