Stranger

Y/N's POV

I try to blink away my tears but more keep coming, making my vision blurry. My car veers off the side of the icy road, and I brace myself as it comes to a halt in the snowy ditch.

Sighing and simply letting the droplets fall, I rest my head against the steering wheel. Great, just great.

A few minutes pass, until I hear a light tapping on my car window. I lift my head up, and see a person standing outside my door.

I couldn't see who it was through the frost, so I unlock my car. The stranger pulls it open, and I look up at him.

"Hun, are you okay?" a steady deep voice asks me.

"Yeah I'm fine," I say, wiping my eyes.

"Are you sure? Here let me help you out." He extends a hand and I take it, stepping out of the car.

"Yeah... yeah I'm alright. I'm just gonna call a tow truck, but um, thanks for checking on me."

"Ofcourse, no problem... good luck," he says kindly, nodding to me. He then walks back to his own car, which was parked on the side of the road.

I dial the number, and speak to the operator. I then hang up, sighing. They said they'd get here as soon as they could but that it might take a while because of the weather conditions.

I look back to the road. The stranger hadn't left yet for some reason. The wind was blowing by, so I wrap my arms around myself and lean against the car door to wait.

Just then, the man comes back out of his car and walks over to me once again.

"Do you wanna wait in my car until the tow truck gets here? It's pretty cold out," he offers.

"No it's okay, I don't wanna bother you. I probably also shouldn't be getting into a car with a stranger," I reply with a light laugh.

"It's no trouble at all I promise. And what are you afraid of? That I'll lock the doors and drive away?" he jokes.

"Well that would be a really good way to kidnap me..." I respond, making him laugh.

"Well then how about you take my keys; can't drive away without my keys can I?" He holds his car keys out in front of me.

"I don't think it's a very good idea to give your keys to a stranger either."

He chuckles. "Probably not but you seem trustworthy."

This makes me smile. I look at him for a moment, contemplating what to do. I couldn't help myself; I was intrigued by this man.

"Alright, thanks," I say, deciding to just go with it. "By the way if you're a kidnapper, you're a really good one," I tell him as we walk to his black jeep.

He pulls open the passenger door for me, and I thank him and step inside.

"I'm Y/N by the way," I say once he had also gotten inside.

"Shawn," he replies, introducing himself. "Sorry 'bout your car."

"It's alright." I sigh, looking ahead at the snowy road.

"I don't mean to pry but why were you crying earlier?"

"Oh um, my boyfriend, well- now ex-boyfriend broke up with me."

"M' sorry to hear that..."

"Eh.. it's nothing. I saw it coming; we were done a long time ago. It's just that plus loads of stress and a bad day that kinda caused a mini meltdown. And it happened to be while I was driving," I chuckle.

"Not the best time for a meltdown I guess," he says with a smile, making me smile a little as well.

"Yeah I guess not."

We sit there in a comfortable silence for a moment.

"You're a good listener..." I tell him quietly. "especially for a pathetic stranger telling you her sob story."

He smiles at this. "Thank you, but you're not at all pathetic." I give him 'the look'. "I asked you didn't I? And I'd also like to think we're no longer strangers."

"You're right, we're not anymore— "

Just then, the tow truck pulls up behind us. I look at it through the mirror, then push open the door.

"Thanks a bunch Shawn!"

I hop out of the jeep to go talk to the tow truck driver about my car. The wind hits me; I had forgotten how cold and snowy it was.

I'm bringing the driver down to the ditch where my car was still stuck, when I hear Shawn calling from behind.

"Wait Y/N!" He runs down to where we were standing.

"Yeah?"

"This may be uh, a little forward but can I get your number?"

I smile. "Sure, since we're not strangers." He smiles too, and then hands me his phone for me to type in my number.

"Thanks... bye Y/N," he says once I've handed him his phone.

"Bye Shawn, and thank you!"

————

A/N: a handsome stranger rescues you from a snowy ditch, then asks for your number...
Happy new year everyone! ❤️