Ch. 6: To Andaxia

"OOoof" Zephyr breathed. Although breathing was difficult when a small human had just slammed into your rib cage.

"Get off, Cyra!" Zephyr's muffled cries seemed to not reach Cyra's ears, or she just didn't care.

"Come on Zephyr, you've been sleeping for forever. Get up." She prodded her sister in the side.

"Well that's kinda hard to do with someone on top of you." Zephyr grunted, shoving Cyra off her and onto the floor with a thud.

"Hey! No fair." Cyra complained. Zephyr stuck her tongue out at her in response. Cyra grabbed a pillow, but before she could swing it, Aeon opened the door. Surveying the scene, from Cyra's raised pillow, to Zephyr's blankets pulled up like a shield. Luckley at this point, nothing they did fazed her. She adapted quickly.

"Good. You're both up. Come on then, let's get going." She turned and shut the door behind her. After the door shut, Zephyr threw the sheet back over her head, mumbling. It was at this time Cyra's pillow hit Zephyr's head.

"HEY!" She yelled, and Cyra darted out of the room.

****************************************************************************************************

Down in the dining room, Laney had already made a few loaves of bread and brought out a jar of raspberry preserves for breakfast. As they sat down to eat, Laney asked them a question.

"So, what's taking you girls all the way to Andaxia?" Laney sliced the bread and passed the slices to the girls.

"We're-" Zephyr started, but Aeon cut her off.

"Eh, we're just heading somewhere else for a change. Not a great time to be a changeling in a human kingdom, you know?" The huntress wasn't lying, but she conveniently left out that the king wanted Zephyr and Cyra, specifically.

Laney nodded in understanding. "Makes sense. I heard Talia's met a changeling or two in the city; I do hope they're all right."

After breakfast, Laney insisted upon giving them more food and supplies for their trip down the mountain. There were more matches, some bread, a jar of the raspberry preserves from breakfast, new arrows for Aeon (since when had she had a bow?), and Cyra even found a small canvas pouch with around a dozen buttons in it. Laney had correctly assumed that the smallest girl would like shiny things, and she had no use for the miscellaneous mismatching buttons contained in the pouch.

The group had been headed down the mountain at a faster pace then before. They had been able to eat and sleep enough to regain any energy they might have lost over the past few days.

As they walked through the snowy fir trees, Cyra tripped over the roots and went tumbling down a hill. Covered in powdery snow, she pulled herself up and was immediately knocked down again by Frost. The pale wolf had slid down the icy slope after her, and now both of them were lying in a pile at the bottom. Zephyr decided to take another route. Breaking a wide piece of bark off a nearby tree, she knelt on top of it and pushed off the top. She slid down the hill laughing on her makeshift sled and somehow managed to crash into both her sister and Aeon's wolf. Aeon skittered down the hill sideways like a normal person. She gave the others a strange look, but they were all laughing too hard to care.

Zephyr and Cyra kept running ahead, then waiting for Aeon to catch up. Soon it became a race between them. Cyra was in the front, but soon Aeon passed her, followed by Zephyr and Frost. Zephyr and Aeon seemed to keep tying, but Aeon was simply older and stronger. Frost fell back and stayed with Cyra. Once they reached a clearing, Aeon stopped, closely followed by Zephyr. Cyra was a few seconds behind. The four of them stood there for a while catching their breath.