12-Last Days as Off-Brand Brits

Harry is the first to move. "How did that happen?"

"Ten points to DUMBLEDORE!" The seven kids whip their necks to the staircase behind them. Sure enough, Dumbledore comes waltzing down trailed by McGonagall, Lupin, Sprout, Hagrid, Flitwick, and Snape.

"So... I guess people are actually afraid of him..." Gail says to Kaity as she turns to face him and his posse.

His triumphant face changes to concern at the sight of the McGonagall running past him to meet the kids. "Oh my. Oh my!" she fusses, helping them out of the room.

Snape is the first to proceed to the Reawakening Stone on the pillar. "Professor Dumbledore, what's this thing?"

Dumbledore shoots a worried look at the Quadruplex. All they can do is shrug. He ignores Snape's question and simply tells him to bring it along with them.

"How on earth did this happen? What were you doing down here? Who else was here?!"

"Minerva, calm down. We'll question them after we get them to the hospital wing. Quickly, kids." Dumbledore turns on his heel and leads everyone out of the chamber.

ΤΠΧ

After a quick examination in the hospital wing, the kids explain exactly what happened to Dumbledore in his office. When they finish, he sits silently for a second, thinking to himself.

"Professor Dumbledore, may I ask why the ritual didn't work? Was it a real thing?" Hermione asks cautiously, leaning on the edge of her seat

"Yes, Miss Granger. Well, it seems to be so. The Reawakening Stone is an old legend, as old as the stones themselves. When the Philosopher's Stone fused with the Resurrection Stone, their powers combined to complete each other. Each of them use the power of life in a different way. One prolongs life, the other brings life back. However, legend says that the Resurrection Stone will only bring someone back physically. Their mental, spiritual, and emotional state remain dead. That's how the power of the Philosopher's Stone comes in. It fills in the gaps the Resurrection Stone leaves. It's arguably the most powerful magical object in the world. Yet, the legend explains that the stone is extremely unstable with the amount of magic it contains. It most likely could only be used once before it destroys itself. Naturally, we will be destroying it before it can be used at all. Life magic may sound useful, but it can be very dangerous. As for why it didn't work, I couldn't tell you." Well, he could, but he doesn't want to compromise the identity of the would-be Dark Lord, so he keeps his mouth shut.

Harry looks to his feet, then back to Dumbledore. "Sir, what does Avada Kedavra do?"

"WHAT?!"

K.C. hits him in the arm. "Harry, don't say it out loud!"

"Well, why didn't you mention it while we were telling—"

"Just stop talking about it," Kaity says to him, though her eye contact is with the floor.

"No, but they tried to hit us and Cici did something that—"

Dumbledore eyes Harry and then Cici, who slouches sheepishly on the chaise lounge. "Harry," he says, still keeping eye contact with Cici. "That is the killing curse." The Golden Trio stiffens their postures.

"Oof, no sugarcoating there," K.C. snorts.

Dumbledore's icy eyes peer over his half-moon spectacles at Harry once more. "What exactly did Miss Chiccolini do?"

"She said some sort of spell and this glowing dome appeared around us and absorbed the blow. It was amazing!" He leans back on the couch to look over K.C.'s shoulders at Cici. "You saved our lives!"