11 - Attack on the Outpost

Southern Outpost, Arabian Desert, Western Asia

Under the ceiling flaps of the huge tent of the southern outpost, I wiped the sweat from my forehead. "Man, what a day," I muttered, half to myself, half to my buddy, Marquis.

"Yeah, man," he agreed, following me into the main area. Desks and computers were spread strategically throughout the room. Typing noises were heard from all around as the computer-occupiers were doing their work.

"Ima go grab some water," Marquis said, then walked away into another smaller room.

"Captain," I said, walking up to the man standing in front of all the tables.

"Yes, Corporal?" The Captain raised his head from where he was sorting through papers at a separated table from the rest.

"The airships are cleaned, the area patrolled, and the civilians of the town are at their normalties," I informed, raising a hand to meet my forehead in a salute.

The Captain saluted back. "Well done once again, Corporal. Take the rest of the night off."

I curtly nodded my head and walked away to where Marquis went off to. "Marquis?" I called into the Supply Room.

"Yeah?" Marquis called back, walking out into the main room with a bottle of water in one hand.

"Let's take a walk," I said, then strode out of the tent with Marquis on my heels.

As soon as we were outside, the setting sun cast rays of multi-colored beams across the evening sky. Sand dunes sloped the horizon with the small Arabian town framing the sun. It was always this beautiful, but I started to not pay mind to it while we strolled across the sand towards the town.

"Did you wanna talk about something?" Marquis asked me, cocking his head.

"No, I just rarely get the chance to talk with my friend," I smiled at him, and he patted me on the back.

"What, are we gonna make acquaintances with the townsfolk again?" Marquis laughed, remembering our last walk, which was months ago.

"Nah," I chuckled. "I just need to get away from the camp for a little bit. You know, take a break."

"I know the feeling," Marquis sighed.

I laughed and talked much more, before coming back to base and locking up for the night. The watchtower lights traveled on the ground of the new, restricted, private US territory. They illuminated the sand, making it turn white instead of a tan-copper color.

I was sitting on the bottom bunk that I shared with Marquis in the bunking room, trying to go to sleep, when sirens started blaring. I shot out of bed and started yelling, "Code red! Code red, people! Come on, get up!" I stirred the privates from their very short sleep, if they even got any.

As I ran out of the tent, I saw the Captain running towards the main tent where all of the computers were at. When I ran into that structure, there were already techs at the monitors, trying to decipher what was going on.

"Captain, we are picking up multiple unknown entities on US grounds," said one tech.

The Captain picked up a phone that was used to communicate with those unknown entities. "This is the US Southern Outpost calling in to tell you that you are on restricted United States territory. Please pull you and your other craft onto our platform or we have the right to terminate."

At that point I knew that Air-force planes were flying out to guide whatever was on our territory to our base platforms for investigation on why they were here.

"Sir," said another one of the techs, standing up from his chair and holding a piece of paper in his hands, "I got a close-up picture of the entities from one of the Air-force planes."

The Captain snatched it out of the tech's hands and squinted at it. "Holy mother of..." he trailed off in awe.

I peeked around him to get a look, and what I saw was incredible. There were planes, helicopters, trucks, whatever vehicles and craft you could imagine.

"Corporal," the Captain said.

I whipped my head up to face him. "Yes, sir?"

"Clear the decks," he informed. "We're gonna have a party."

"Yes, sir," I said firmly, then motioned for Marquis to come with me as we headed out onto the platforms.

Already, privates with machine guns and tanks that were loaded and ready to go were crawling out into the open from their tents. "Clear the decks. Man your stations," I said into my walki-talki that I always kept on me.

Immediately the platforms cleared of any military trucks, tanks, anything with wheels. Privates now hid behind them at the edges of the deck, but with their guns pointed at the clearing and ready to fire. I hid behind my own truck with Marquis, my gun cocked and loaded. I didn't dare take a peek around the vehicle, so I lended my ears to the quietness.

After many long minutes which felt like months, I could hear the faint pounding of blades of helicopters and the roar of the engines of planes. They grew louder and louder until it was almost deafening, and by that point I knew they were on the platform.

Once I took a peek around the corner, my gun pointed, my eyes grew wide with astonishment. The deck was filled with different trucks, airplanes, helicopters, whatever you could name. I thought that the southern outpost was going to be under a night attack if we didn't catch these vehicles in time.

"Step out of your vehicles or craft immediately, or we have the right to terminate." I heard over the loudspeaker the Captain telling the foreign entities to come out and address themselves. I mean, I've seen this happen before, but with way lesser numbers.

"I'm going to give you until the count of three," the Captain said again. "One.....two....."

Suddenly, the roaring of engines turned off, and a weird thing happened that stopped all of our breaths.

They transformed.

Tons of huge robots filled the platform, and explosions started going off everywhere.

"They're Transformers!" I heard Marquis yell beside me.

Guns fired at the Transformers, but they bounced off of them like nothing. Someone even launched a missile, and it hit a nearby Transformer, but it barely did anything, and it brushed it off as if it was a wad of paper.

"What the...!" I said, and started to run into the main tent. "We're under attack!" I yelled. The room suddenly went up in flames as the roof came off and a Transformer peeked in.

"Peek a boo..." it said menacingly, then scraped it's fist through the room like it was scraping a paint stain off a school desk. The last thing I saw was Marquis's shocked face when something hit me hard in the chest and my vision went blank...