Seven- Poisoned Apples

One of the things I hate most about life is how circumstances can change your view on certain things or places. I stare out at the churning ocean water, white foam forming and waves crashing on the sand. The cliff wall I'm sitting atop is cold and jagged, carved out by the sea waves over years and years. As if nature understands the heartache I experience, the sky is a groggy gray and the wind is chilling. It rains the slightest. Not enough to drench your clothes, but more of a salty mist.

I remember the times Dad and I would come down here. Usually on weekends we would drive down to the cliff area of Sharktooth and he would take me diving. It would take us far longer than usually needed to put on our gear, especially when I was little. I would never stay still long enough for him to help me with the tank which would result in an all out sand war and a game of tag.

I slip a hand over my mouth to hold back the sob that tries to escape from deep within me. Of course this had to be the place where he was killed. Of course fate had to ruin this beautiful and once perfect place for us.

For me.

Yet still, here I sit. I can't pull myself away from remembering him though it aches as if someone has wrenched my heart from my body. So I sit and cry to the sky as if that would solve my problems. As if that would mend my shattered and bleeding heart.

Eventually, despite my mentally asleep state, I sit straighter at the sound of someone else. A glance behind me reveals Julien and a ball of conflicted feelings unfurl in my chest. I hug my knees to my chest as he comes to sit beside me, both an action of defense but also one to comfort myself. He didn't say anything, just sat beside me and stared at the foamy water as I did.

I didn't know how to feel. Julie had been my best friend growing up. Yeah, he left and abandoned all of us when he and his family left, but I couldn't ignore the fact that he still probably knew me the most. But... Plandiv labeled him as a suspect. Deep down, I wanted to trust him, I really did... but... something tells me that he isn't being fully transparent.

"If I may ask, what did Sherrif Plandiv tell you?" He asked quietly after a while, turning to glance at me.

I remained silent for a few seconds, heart thundering in my ears. "Uh... just that you're a suspect," I muttered in response, giving a small shrug as if that fact didn't effect me as much as it did.

Julien slowly nodded and looked back at the ocean. "I am sure you have your... reservations regarding me now?" I'm not sure if that statement was meant to sound as a question, but it did and I nodded.

"I don't know what to think, Julie. I don't know what happened to you after you left Sharktooth. I'm scared I don't know you anymore and you could be something awful."

He nodded slowly, taking in my words but not interrupting as I continued.

"And... deep down I want to trust you. I really do because you were my best friend." You still kinda are. "But anything could've happen in that time and I don't know what to think anymore."

I scrunch my eyes close and hunch my shoulder protectively. I'm scared of this. And though I don't want to admit it, I'm scared of him. Is that a bad thing...?

"I know you may not have very many reasons to trust me, but I will tell you all the same that I did not kill your father. I hope you can have the courage to believe me because I do not wish to lose our friendship."

I turn to glance at him, tears brimming my eyes and I see a reflection of my own emotions in his glassy blue eyes. He's just as scared as I am. He's just as unsure.

From the corner of my eye I can see him shakily reach out a hand for mine and without a second thought I let him take it. He lets out a quick, relieved breath and I think I do.