The escape

The alarm rang just as sun started waking down the horizon. Half dreaming, boys got out of bed and started searching for their shoes. Todd turned on the light which ended up being too bright for their eyes, causing them to cover their faces with palms and softly groan. After couple of moments Neil, who was sitting on the bed, took his shoes (which were hidden under the bed) and pulled them on. He grabbed his backpack and went to the bathroom.

"Aren't you afraid someone is going to see you"? Todd whispered as they entered.

"Who is awake at this time? It will only take a minute. Neil took out his toothbrush and started brushing. Todd served as a lookout, standing near barely opened door. After couple minutes Neil announced he is done. He cleaned his toothbrush and put it back into his backpack. Going towards Todd, he smiled.

"Now, I can kiss you." He smiled and pressed his lips on Todds.

"But I did not brush," Todd replied after he broke away from Neils tight grip.

"It doesnt matter to me," Neil smiled, "I want to kiss you anytime, anywhere."

"You are an idiot," Todd laughed and went towards the sink.

Halls of the academy were still pretty dark, but Todd and Neil could hear someone coming their way. It was a group of people, trying to be as silent as possible, but failing. As these shapeless creatures got closer, their features were recognizable.

One of them tripped on a hem of a cloak and loudly fell on the floor.

"Quiet, you moron," said Charlie with his recognizable voice, "you will wake up the entire school."

Guys were coming back from their meeting, the one which was not supposed to happen today, but on next monday. To get their attention, Neil pushed Dalton in the bathroom, alarming the others. Todd whispered to the rest of the gang to come inside so they would not panic. The seven of them stood inside a huge room in which Todd turned on the lights. Seeing Neil they ran towards him, hugging him so tight he thought he would suffocate. When the situation calmed down, he told them he ran away from home and that he plans to go to New York to start a career on Broadway.

"How do you plan to get there?" Dalton asked.

"I'll steal Keating's car, we've already drove it tonight anyway."

"It will not work, Keating will notice his car is gone, the only reason I took it is because I knew he sleeps right now and he won't notice that it is missing." Todd gave his opinion on the matter, "I don't think it is a good idea."

Neil thought for a moment.

"I could always hitchhike."

"Not safe," said Gerard, "unless..." He stopped, thinking if his idea is even worth considering.

"Unless what?" Neil looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"Unless we all go together. You've got no money, I guess. You can't travel by bus or train. Hitchhiking is quite dangerous when there is only one person involved. But seven of us can fight off anyone that tries to attack."

"Are you insane? You would risk getting expelled from school just so I could start my new life as an actor? I will not allow that.

But the decision seems to be brought to light. Knox, Charlie, Steven and Gerard seemed ecstatic for this unplanned trip.

Richard looked at them with anger, in apparent agreement with Neil.

"You are throwing your future away. We should stay in school and do as we are told not parading around the country like hobos."