Chapter Eighteen: Sole Custody

I explained to Jasmine what happened to Julia after she left, and she agrees that I should have full custody of JJ. The paperwork is almost done, and I have yet to tell Jules about it. Maybe I can tell her when she drops my son off. Speaking of Julia, Chad told me that she's now dating Cody. If she's anything like that dirtbag then they belong together. I don't know if she's doing this to get back at me or if she genuinely likes him. It's not like he blackmailed me or anything.
"Joseph, JJ's here," Jasmine calls from the front door. I walk over to her and see JJ wearing a long sleeve shirt and jeans. I glance up at Julia, who knows damn well it's seventy-seven degrees out, and wait for her to explain herself.
"He wanted to wear it," is all she says. I watch as JJ tugs at his shirt and little balls of sweat start to form on his forehead.
"Are you hot buddy?" I ask him gently.
"Yes daddy," he answers.
"Did you want to wear this?"
"No."
"Jas can you change him into something more comfortable?" I ask. She grabs JJ's hand and takes him to his room. I stare at Julia still waiting for a real explanation.
"Julia are you done yet?" I heard Cody ask.
"Almost," she answers.
"Why did you bring him here?" I question through gritted teeth. "He can get arrested because of the—"
"Oh my god, Joseph!" Jasmine cries out. She comes running to me with JJ in her arms covered in bruises.

   "Julia what the fuck happened to my son?!" I yell. She flinches at my voice and here comes Cody to save her. How could she let this happen to our kid?
  "What's going on?" Cody asks.
  "Nothing that concerns you," I hiss. "You better get out of here before I call the police on both of you.
  "Both of us? What did Julia do?"
  "Putting my son in danger!"
  "I-I'm sorry Joseph. Those shady people came and he was just trying to.. protect me," she sobs.
  "Well, this is the last time you'll be seeing him," I warn. I hand her a copy of the custody papers and slam the door in her face.
  "Wait, Joseph open the door! Please don't take him away he's all I have!" Julia screams. I lock the door and follow Jasmine to JJ's room.
  "I can't believe how stupid Julia has gotten," I sigh. "She would rather have people hurt our child than me help them get a new place."
  "I can understand why she wouldn't want your help," Jasmine says while dressing JJ. "But her son's wellbeing should come first before anything else."
  "If she wants my help then she can get supervised visits," I say. "No one is going to hurt you bud." I pick him up and hold him close to me. The thought of anyone hurting a one year sends chills down my spine. Of course, he wanted to protect his mom, every boy wants to be able to do that.

   "Do you think I'm doing the right thing?" I ask Jasmine.
  "Of course you are. I would do the same thing if you put Cherish in a harmful situation," she responds. "You can't feel bad for doing the right thing."
  "I just have a bad feeling about this," I shudder.
  "You can't help someone who doesn't want it. All you can really do is sit down and talk to Julia," Jasmine explains. I place a kiss on JJ's forehead before putting him down.
  "How about we watch a movie kiddo?" I ask him.
  "Yes!"
  "I'll make the popcorn," Jasmine says with a smile.
——————————
   After the movie finishes, JJ is knocked out on the couch. I place his favorite blanket on him and turn the tv off.
  "Hey Jassy," I whisper.
  "Yeah?"
  "Do you see us getting married?" I ask. She sits up slightly, her bouncy curls falling all over the place. There's a subtle glimmer in her aqua eyes, making them appear more beautiful than they already are.
"Hopefully one day, but not anytime soon," she answers. "I want to take my time with this relationship and see what comes from it."
"You're right. I know a lot of people wouldn't want us to get married so I was thinking whenever we do, we could just elope," I say.
"That'd be lovely," she smiles.
"God Jasmine, I love you," I whisper.
"I love you too Joseph."