First Meeting - If We Had Only Been Closer

"Welcome to the Chang Dai, Eiji. Please choose anything you like. It's on the house.", Nadia welcomed him.

"Ash is like a little brother to me. I worry about that stubborn idiot a lot, so I'm thrilled he met his soulmate. Especially since he refuses to believe in the power of soulmates. Please take good care of  him." Nadia teasingly ruffled his hair, and Ash ducked away from her. "Stop that! I'm not fourteen anymore."

Eiji grinned at his reaction. "Yes, I will. I promise. Thank you, Nadia."

When they sat down at a table, Shorter joined them. He grinned at Eiji. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Shorter. I'm glad Ash decided to meet you.", he added before casting a knowing glance at Ash, who glared at him in return.

Eiji looked at the two of them curiously before his gaze rested on Ash. "Why did you suddenly change your mind? I was really happy when I got your message but wondered what could be the reason."

"I didn't...", Ash muttered in a low voice. Shorter elbowed him in the ribs, and Ash grimaced before scowling at him.

"So, that probably means that you had something to do with Ash's decision to meet me, right?", he asked, eying Shorter with new interest.

"You could say that.", Shorter replied mysteriously. "Ash is too stubborn for his own good. I could see in his eyes that he wanted to meet you. He just needed a little push in the right direction."

"Thanks, Shorter, I owe you. I'm so happy that I could meet him. And you as well. Eiji beamed at both of them in that innocent way he had.  Then his shoulders slumped a little as he sank deeper into his seat before he continued speaking, his tone accompanied by a hint of sadness. Or maybe loneliness?

"I don't know anyone else in New York yet. I feel a bit lost in a huge city like that. My hometown is much smaller."

Although New York looks exactly like in CSI: New York!

Ash burst out laughing until tears were pricking at his eyes. Shorter and Eiji both stared at him in bewilderment.

"Please tell me that you don't have all your knowledge about New York from TV series like CSI.", Ash asked him, still laughing. "That's so cute and dumb at the same time."

"Of course not!", Eiji pouted while his cheeks flushed red in embarrassment before he turned away from them. "I've also read some guide books about New York if you have to know. And how can you possibly read my thoughts?", he asked Ash in disbelief.

"It's easy if you send your thoughts to me. I think you've done so unintentionally when you cheered up again." Ash smirked at him. He began to enjoy himself, even if it was at his soulmate's expense.

"Don't worry, Eiji, we'll change that and show you around. You'll make more friends in no time. And now you have us. You'll be good for Ash. And if he wants to push you away, don't let him. He thinks he doesn't deserve you. Tell him he's wrong, ok?"

Shorter was interrupted when Nadia suddenly dragged a sour-looking Shorter along with her.

"Sorry, Eiji, but Shorter promised me to help me in the kitchen. He'll join you later.", Nadia promised him.

"Learn to read the atmosphere. Give these two some time alone.", Ash heard her whisper to Shorter.

"You can join them later when we've finished preparing their meals. And when you've cleaned the kitchen as you promised me to.", she ordered while shoving him towards the kitchen. Ash could hear Shorter's complaints all the way to the kitchen and couldn't hide his grin.

"You're lucky, Ash. You have people who love you. Nadia is really nice, and I bet Shorter's a great friend, too." Eiji's gaze curiously wandered around the place before he looked at him again.