Chapter 1 | Bad omen

Bundled under her thick blankets little Penny Wicks was sound asleep

Bundled under her thick blankets little Penny Wicks was sound asleep. She might have remained so, had it not been for the loud creaking in the hallway that woke her up. It was very dark and difficult to see clearly with the exception of a small sliver of yellow light that momentarily appeared at her door. the light faded as she heard the faint creaking of the floorboards moving further down the hall. She didn't know why the door was ajar. Penny had always been frightened of leaving her door open at night. It always gave her an uncomfortable feeling, like she was being watched from the darkness. As she climbed out of bed and made her way over to the door the light caught her eye again. She had assumed the source of the light to be her mother or father going to the bathroom, but upon glancing towards the light realized it was someone in flowing black robes, slowly descending the stairs.

Frightened, she waited for the dark figure to disappear down the steps before quickly tip-toeing towards her parent's room. Climbing onto the large bed she felt around the sheets, trying to wake her mother and father. In the darkness, it took her a moment to realize there was no one under the sheets, just their pillows. Downstairs a door closed, causing her heart to jump into her throat. All she could think to do was hide beneath the sheets to hide.

In the darkness, Penny heard a sickening scream echoing from the street outside. Another scream rang out and she recognized her mother's voice. Fearing for her mum a crying Penny ran down the stairs and out into the street. The golden light of the street lamps gave the misty Grimmauld's place an eerie, otherworldly feeling. Unable to see clearly in the thick mist she slowly and silently made her way down the pavement.

As she wandered past the lights towards the street corner something approached her from the dark. looking down at the pavement it was almost snakelike as it seemed to wriggle towards her along the stone pavement. Then came another and then another and the dark snakelike things turned red in the lamplight, forming a roadmap of blood. Her mother's blood. Looking further ahead she saw a human figure on the street, under blood-drenched clothe. Paralyzed and sick with fear Penny turned to scream for her father, only for her throat to be gripped by terror. She had barely turned her head away from the figure when out of the corner of her eye it seemed to move. Turning to face the figure again she could have sworn the head had turned to face her.

"Penny." A soft voice called out from under the blood-soaked cloth. "Penny, my beautiful Penny."  Enola's voice was calm and welcoming, but Penny didn't feel safe, even when her mother reached out a hand that was dripping red. The hand clawed slowly at the air like she was attempting to get free, but as the cloth fell away from her face, she didn't look that determined to escape. With all that blood, none would have guessed Enola to be fair-haired as her daughter. Her eyes were grey and cloudy with no sign of despair or panic. It was like she was half asleep. "Penny." She said again as a hand clamped down onto Penny's shoulder.

" She said again as a hand clamped down onto Penny's shoulder