two- my intro to the glade"North

Ellie's P.O.V.

        I stared up at a huge group of people that I didn't even recognize. There was only one other girl, and the rest were all boys. The girl wore a shocked expression while some of the boys looked at me like I was candy. I scuttled to a corner and the boys all leaned in closer. The girl jumped into the metal box, followed by another boy who, for once, wasn't looking at me with a creepy expression.

        "Boys give her some bloody breathing space. Go back to work, I got her," the girl said in a leader-ish tone, and with grumbles and groans, everyone went back to work.

        "It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you, Greenie," the girl said, offering her hand slowly. Despite the power she had over everyone, she looked like a little kid, reaching out to pet a kitten: absolutely enthusiastic.

        "Why did you call me Greenie? Why am I in a metal box? What is this place? Why are you reEACHING OUT TO TOUCH ME?" I heard myself squeal, my voice reaching a pitch so high that I sounded like an infant. She pulled her hand back quickly and chuckled.

        "This is the Glade," the other girl said. "And my name is Em, and this is Newt. Do you remember your name, Greenie?"

        I thought, my eyebrows knitting together, when a sudden name came to me.

        "Ellie," I said, my voice sounding small. "My name is Ellie. That's all I know."

        "Well, Ellie, I hate to break it to you but we're the only girls in the Glade, so you have to get used to everyone starin' at you like you're candy real quick," Em said, reaching her hand out one more time. This time, I took it, and she pulled me up.

        "Let's get you some new clothes," Em said, pulling me out of the metal box. The boy named Newt followed silently; I think that was a good thing for me because if anyone else tried to talk to me right now I think I would burst out crying.

        She brought me to a place that she called the Homestead, and she brought me upstairs to a decent-sized room with four beds and chests that I supposed held clothing. She dug out a black tanktop, a pair of cargo pants, and some worn leather boots, and once I put that outfit on, it was much more comfortable than my other one.

        Next she brought me to the kitchen, where she introduced me to most of the boys. I had already met Newt, and I pretty much stayed close to him. For some reason, I had the weirdest sensation that I knew him.

        I had met a sweet boy named Chuck, the cook Frypan, one of the other leaders Alby, Winston, Minho, and to my anger, a boy named Gally.

        "So this is the Greenie? Hope she's not as annoying as you Em," he snickered to his mean-looking friends.

        Em acted like she hadn't even heard him, but it made me mad. Honestly. I had just got to this strange place and there was already someone to claim the Jerk Throne.

        "Okay Ellie. What you're gonna do for the next couple'a weeks is take turns doing each job in the Glade, then by the end we'll be able to see what you're best at," Em explained. "Good that?"

        I nodded, too confused and scared to do anything else. I didn't even know what to do.

        I took turns following Em and Newt around for the day. Every so often Gally would shoot me dirty glances, and eventually, I would send them right back. I was so sick of half the people here already that I didn't know if I could last much longer without an outburst. But of course, I kept that to myself.

        By the end of the day, when we were all eating dinner, a sound so terrible filled the air that I jumped, dropped my food, and covered my ears with my hands.

         "It's okay Greenie, just the Gates closing," Em said, acting as if nothing was happening.

        "What Gates?!" I asked impatiently. This place was just full of damn surprises. Every turn I took led me to something even more interesting than the last.

        "North, South, East, and West. All enterances to the Maze," Newt said, eating a french fry.

        "What Maze?" I asked. The Gates had closed by now, and the Maze was the most interesting thing  I had heard about all day, by far.

        "Greenie it's time to hit the hay, get a good night's rest, we'll wake ya up at dawn, ask any questions you'd like then. Follow me, I'll show ya where you can sleep," Em said, picking up her dinner garbage. She walked forward a bit and shared a few words with Newt, before turning back to get me.

        "Good night Greenie," Newt said, waving, then making his way off. Em pulled me along as we started towards the Homestead.