010 bury the dead

CHAPTER TEN( bury the dead )

CHAPTER TEN
( bury the dead )

"ABOUT DAMN TIME!" JJ exclaimed frustratedly, both he and Pope rising from their seats in his messy, unkept yard when Aurora and John B finally came waltzing up; laughing to each other as they dug silver spoons into an ice cream carton in her hands. The condensation from the outside of the cardboard container ran down Aurora's fingers; both of their lips lined with the evidence of the frozen, chocolatey substance. While they seemed to be amused with something, Pope and JJ were not. "What, did you stop to get ice cream while your old pals here just sat at our meeting spot wondering if you two were behind bars?!"

Pope knitted his brows. "Where's Kie?"

"Probably grounded for eternity." Aurora dismissed. "Want some ice cream? We brought extra spoons." she offered, holding out the utensils.

"It's pretty melted, but it still tastes good. Even though it's dairy free." John B added through a mouthful, almost incoherent as he struggled to keep the liquified ice cream in his mouth.

JJ paused briefly before giving a shrug. "Yeah, sure."
His anger vanished entirely and he headed for the summertime treat.

"Wait, can you explain to us what happened, please?" Pope shook his head, thrown off by the scene.

"Ummm... yeah." Aurora nodded, wiping her lips with the back of her hand before addressing John B and JJ; who were plopping down criss-cross-apple-sauce on the dirt to share the ice cream. "You two stay here. Pope, come with me." She grabbed the boy's arm, pulling him a little ways away before ditching the slap-happy act.

"What's going on? Why are you two acting drunk and weird?" he whispered with furrowed brows, looking at the now, visibly stressed girl.

"Okay A— we're not drunk. B— John B is kinda losing his fucking mind right now, so I'm trying to act like nothing's wrong and make him feel better." she breathed out, wiping away glistening sweat from her forehead.

"What happened after JJ and I left?" he questioned, the girl annoyedly swatting at the gnats around them.

"Basically, I shattered Shoupe's damn windshield with JJ's stupid fucking ball, got arrested, watched Kiara and John B..." she faltered slightly. "...get arrested, and then Mr. C paid our bail fees. He's pissed, Kiara's pissed, John B's pissed. Everybody's pissed."

There was a beat. "I'm sorry we left you." he said quietly, guiltily.

Aurora jarred her head back. "I'm not." she told him honestly. "Don't be sorry. Seriously. I wanted you guys to leave. Better if not every single one of us was arrested."