CHAPTER 27

My dad and I rode in silence to the prison which was on the outskirts of the town. It took a lot of convincing for them to let me go there. My brothers kept grumbling and arguing, they even called Dylan to try and talk me out of it but no. I was resolute on going.

"hey, are you okay?" my dad asked. I nodded. "you're sure about this?" I nodded again and smiled at him. He gave me a small smile back.

I didn't know I was nervous until the high walls of the prison came into view. It was covered with electric wires at the top. We drove in and parked. I breathed in and out to try and calm myself down. I just prayed I don't have a panic attack.

"if you want to turn back now, we can" dad suggested.

"no dad, I need to get this over with" I said forcing a smile. We both got out and made our way into the building. After dad explained why we were here they led us to a room that had a single table with a cuff attached to it. There were three seats, one on one side and two on the other side.

Dad and I took our seats as the officer went to bring him out. My head turned swiftly once the door opened. The pale gruffly man in front of me was nothing I remembered. I was shocked. He looked around the room before his eyes landed on me.

"hazel?" he asked looking me up and down.

"James" he took his seat and the officer cuffed him to it.

"Timothy Valdez" dad said and James rolled his eyes. I tried to hide my smile.

"so? Why are you here?" he asked me. I gulped and brought out the letter he sent me from my hoodie pocket and placed it on the table.

'this" I replied "I want an explanation"

"what's there to explain?" he hissed glaring at me.

"what do you mean? Why me? What went wrong?" I asked raising my voice. He stared at me shocked.

"well, I did have a family before I met your mum, I married the love of my life Christina. She fell ill after giving birth to my daughter. It was a choice to make, either she lived and the baby died or the baby dies and she lived. She chose the baby over herself but then the baby girl had complications and she left too. I was shattered and broken, that was when I ran mad. Anytime I look at you, you remind me of her and then I remember you'll always be somebody else's child and not mine so what was the need of being nice when you'll eventually be taken away" I felt tears come to my eyes, I would never have believed it in a thousand years but it felt so true.

"I'm so sorry" he sobbed. I threw my arms around him and muttered "I forgive you". He smiled at me through his tear stained face and I smiled.

"thank you, I hope to see you again" he called out as he was led out. Dad and I walked out of the prison together, his hand on my shoulder.

"you feel better?" dad asked squeezing my shoulder. I nodded and we both got into the car and drove off.

"she's alive" Simon yelled once we came through the door. I rolled my eyes and went to get a bottle of water to drink. I could hear what seemed like a stampede as all the others came down the stairs. I grabbed my water and gulped it down quickly. They all stared at me expectantly.

"what?"

"what happened?" Alan asked.

"I don't want to talk about it" I replied annoyed. Everybody left It at that and went about their businesses which was seating around the table and seeing who could throw a piece of grape into dads' suit pocket.

"why don't we hang out at the pool? We could invite some friends" Dale suggested. He got nods of approval from the others including my dad.

"imma just head to my room" I said getting up but I was soon carried off my feet and thrown over someone's shoulder.

"nope, you're coming with us" the person which I guess was Ivan said and I could almost hear his evil grin. He started walking outside towards the pool.

"dad, I'll be very glad if you'll help me right about now" I called out to my dad who was following us. He just laughed and entered the corridor that led to his office. Seriously. My dad just ditched me.

Splash. I was at the bottom of the pool. I stayed at the bottom a little longer so they think I drowned and sure enough I soon heard a splash before I was dragged to the surface of the water. I took in deep breathes with relief. Simon had brought me up.

"are you okay?" Ivan asked kneeling beside me on the ground. I nodded and gave some low fake coughs.

"could you help me stand up?" he took my hand and pulled me up, once he let go of my hand I pushed him in and burst into laughter. He came to the surface and glared at me. I just turned and walked into the house to change my wet clothes.

Once I had changed, I dropped on my bed and looked through my phone. I heard my door open but I didn't turn assuming it was one of the guys.

"boo" somebody yelled in my ear making me to scream and fall off my bed. I looked up to see Dylan laughing his ass out.

"that wasn't funny" I groaned getting up and dusting imaginary dust off my clothes. He rolled his eyes and dropped on my bed. 

 "you coming to the pool?" he asked turning to face me.

"nope" I replied dropping on the bed too.

He pouted "please"

"no"

"pretty pretty please" I rolled my eyes and groaned out a yes. He squealed and pecked my cheek. "but I'm not swimming"

"as long as you're there" after that I kicked him out and changed into a summer gown. I grabbed some sunscreen, glasses, my phone and a book to read. I went downstairs and out to the pool. When they said a couple friends I didn't know that meant over 15 extra people I didn't even know. I turned to go back inside when I bumped into Dylan.

"where are you going?" he asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"inside" I tried to walk passed him but he stood in my way.

"why?"

"there are so many people here I don't know" I tried walking past again but he took my arm and dragged me from the door.

"everybody" he yelled picking me up bridal style. There was silence as everybody turned to acknowledge him. "this is Hazel Valdez, just for you to know" I blushed and hid my face in his hoodie. He finally set me down and I collapsed on a chair and began to read my book while occasionally staring at those in the pool. Once I was done with the book, I put on my sunglasses and basked in the sun. I really wandered what James' daughter looked like.