eighteen

Time is never on Maia's side and for that, it's her enemy. 

Time always gives her the opposite of what she wants — whenever she needs the time to go faster, it would crawl like a snail, seemingly endless, and when she needs it to go slower, it would fly past her before she can even blink.

Right now, she desperately needs the time to stop moving because it feels like just yesterday that she found out Harry's gotten a new job but one look at his desk tells her that it definitely isn't yesterday that she had that conversation with him. The reality is this: next week, he'll no longer be sitting behind his desk and soon, he'll be replaced by someone else.

Harry's desk has never been messy but at the moment, it's pretty bare. The water bottle that he always leaves on his desk is no longer there and so are some books that he's been reading but never gets to finish because something always comes up. He's slowly taking his things home, deciding not to do things in the last minute and at the same time, making it easier for everyone (her, in particular) to transition from having him around to not having him around.

It's very considerate of him to do so but still, it's going to take her some time to truly get used to the idea of not seeing him at work. She's gotten so used to seeing him every day — all she has to do is lift her eyes and she'd see him — that there are times when she takes it for granted. But she's made it her mission to cherish every second she has with him at Matchcierge.

It's a little dramatic, she knows, because it's not like she'll not see him again, but next week will be a big change and where changes are concerned, she's not very good at it and she's not a fan.

"Earth to Maia," a voice interrupts her thoughts and she jumps a little before looking up and finding Laura standing in front of her.

"Hey," Maia says. "What's up?"

She then looks around the office and finds that everyone else still hasn't returned. Harry and Niall are upstairs in the brainstorming room with Jennifer. Apparently, Niall is insistent on getting Harry to work with him one last time on his latest couple, Haiden and Jess, and Harry couldn't say no to that. Chelsea is helping Joanna with her book and Grace is out, running some errands for the date she's been planning for Wilson, their returning client who's decided to find love in someone else, and Esther, the woman Grace thinks is perfect for Wilson.

"I have tea to spill."

Maia raises an eyebrow at Laura. She can't remember the last time her friend came up to her and said those five words. Come to think of it, she doesn't think Laura has ever uttered those words. Still, she's intrigued now and she's in desperate need to take her mind off of the thoughts of Harry leaving soon. "Okay, go on."

"Remember when I told you that I'd found out what happened between—" she pauses to lean closer and with her voice lower, she continues, "—Grace and Niall?"

Maia only nods. It's not exactly at the forefront of her mind, but she remembers that.

"Well, I found out."

"And?"

"I was right," Laura says with that smug grin of hers.

Maia presses her lips together, suppressing a gasp. They expected this, it was one of their theories, but still, the shock rolls through her. Grace and Niall. Niall and Grace. GraceandNiall.

"How'd you know?"

"I went out for drinks with Grace last night," Laura tells her. "Was going to ask you if you'd like to come but you left with Harry."