01. Kashyyyk

☾☾☾

KASHYYYK WAS A planet that never slept. The birds, the bugs, and even the Wookiees never seemed to quiet. Myria used to hate this, she could never find a place quiet enough for her racing mind. Now, years later, the noise of the planet is the thing Myria loves most about it — it makes her know she's still alive, still going.

The noise also distracts her from her dreams. Myria hated sleep more than anything. Her nightmares depicted images of war, death, and destruction. When she was young, she'd wake up screaming in her mothers' arms. Her adoptive mother, Emera, a Wookiee, never let her sleep alone until she was fourteen, or even let her be alone until she was sixteen.

When she finally had freedom, Myria would explore every inch of the planet until she knew it like the back of her hand. One part, in particular, she was unable to journey to, as the Empire had seized it before she could.

Nighttime had finally dawned on Kashyyyk, and Myria was wide awake. Her treehouse was small, so sneaking was difficult with a Wookiee mother so close, but she made it work. Peering down the window, she couldn't help but let a smile slip when she saw Sage waving up at her. Sage had been there for Myria as long as she could remember, another orphan taken in by the Wookiees, now fighting to liberate their homeworld from the Empire. "Hurry!" She whispered. "We'll be late!" Sage rushed off to the edge of the cliff. Myria huffed, rolling her eyes as she silently made her way down the vines on the side of the treehouse and onto the solid cliffside. Sage was holding two vine swings, smiling wide. "Here," She handed one to Myria. "Varian is waiting on the other side."

"How'd he get there so fast?" Myria chuckled, readying herself on the vine. Sage did the same and merely shrugged. Shrugging as well, Myria positioned her feet on the edge of the ledge and leaned back. "It's been a while since we've done this. Sure you'll remember?" She nudged Sage playfully.

Sage nudged back, rolling her eyes. "Sure you will?" Without giving Myria a chance to respond, she kicked off from the cliff and soared through the treetops and out of sight. Myria chuckled, show off, she thought. Following Sage, Myria jumped, feeling the familiar thrill of flying through the air as her hair whipped around in every direction.

"WOOOO!" She yelled from the top of her lungs, pushing herself further through the patch of foliage. Finally, she caught sight of Sage and Varian waiting for her at the waterfall. Smirking at Sage, meters from the platform, she jumped off of her vine, propelling herself forward with a power she had always possessed, landing with a perfect flip. "And she sticks the landing!" Varian had run-up to Myria, cheering alongside her.

"Myria! Myria!" He lifted her into the air. The two friends hadn't seen each other in months. Varian had been off-world, doing recon for the rebels. "Man is it good to see you!" He laughed.