demons can be (very) hot

Hawks is twelve when he's allowed to invite friends to his house for the first and the last time.

Understandably, he is ecstatic, even though his house isn't his house but actually a government facility and the children in question aren't really his friends, just some other orphans under The Commission's care. They don't let him interact with other people often, so Hawks takes what he can get.

It's a Halloween night and one of his handlers shows them to the cozy looking little room, with a big couch, a TV with scary movies ready to be played, a table full of snacks and a small box.

Hawks tries not to show how excited he feels, keeping himself from smiling too widely or fidgeting too much, well aware it could end the evening before it even properly began. After all, this is only happening as a reward for his exceptional grades from last week's tests and he knows how easily bad behavior can get a reward revoked.

"I'm going to leave you alone," the woman says, her voice strict and distant. Hawks doesn't remember her name, since she rarely takes care of him. "But you will have to behave. There is a TV with enough movies to last you till curfew, but if you get bored I found some board games in my attic last night. Just keep quiet and don't do anything stupid. Is that clear?"

They all nod or mumble assurances, like there is even a different answer.

Everything goes well at first. They watch some bad horrors, eat candy, laugh and get to know each other better. Hawks has more fun than ever before and his little heart aches for this closeness, for other people's presence. Those other children are kept together mostly, with only Hawks being an exception. He is a prodigy after all, his handler's voice echoes in his head. His potential would be wasted if he had so many distractions.

Still, Hawks very discreetly snuggles closer to the boy next to him, enjoying the touch. No one really touches him without intent to hurt these days.

So yeah, it all goes pretty well. Until it doesn't.

They get bored with movies eventually and eagerly unpack the box, looking for anything interesting. There are classics, like Monopoly or Guess Who?, but it's a much more obscure thing that catches their eyes.

On the very bottom of the box there is an old wooden board, dark and barely readable in places, but they can still see the letters and numbers and short words like 'yes' or 'no'. The game is called Ouija and none of them know how to pronounce it, but one of the girls explains in hushed whispers what it does.

You can summon monsters with it and talk to them, she says, eyes twinkling mischievously. Ghosts or demons, anything you want.

Impossible, one of the younger boys scoffs, although his hands shake a little. Monsters don't exist.

It's a Halloween night and they decide to summon a demon. Ghosts are boring, Hawks argues and the others nod. It's supposed to be fun, a way to scare younger kids a little, maybe something to feel more in spirit for the holiday.

Hawks realizes it's not so fun when he ends up staring right at the hypnotizing glowing blue eyes that were not in the room a few seconds ago.

Everyone screams and runs as far away from the creature as possible, hiding behind the couch or under the table. Hawks stays in his place, frozen by the piercing look that feels like it can see through his soul.

Who are you? He whispers quietly as his eyes try to make sense of the creature's long horns, sharp fangs, purple burn scars and the fact that it's floating in the air.

You called me here and you don't even know? The creature asks, looking surprised.

You're very pretty, Hawks says instead of answering, too embarrassed to admit the truth.