Chapter 13

Note: Hey loves, so I worked on this twice as long as I intended and this chapter is pretty long in comparison to the others. It might feel like it moves a bit slow, but there were some important things I really wanted to get across. Not the greatest chapter, but it picks up very quick in the next one. Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment! Enjoy ❤️

-

Kira's Dream Sequence

"Get up, Zippora!" a vicious voice snapped from above me. I struggled to lift my eyelids as surges of pain reverberated through my head. "I said get up!" she hissed again. A hand dug into my hair, twisting a vice grip on the curls at the crown of my head, yanking me from the cold, hard ground beneath me. "You weak, pathetic little wench! Can't you do anything right?"

Slowly, my eyes drifted open to a pair of icy blue ones glaring back at me. The blood in my veins froze. I knew that look, that fiery glint shining through her scowl. I had seen it in my own mother's eyes many times before. It was hatred. Pure, raw hatred. I must be in a memory again, I thought to myself. I had no control over my own movements. I shrank as far away from her as I could with her hand still tightly gripping my hair. 

"I should've had you beaten out of me when your father suggested it," she hissed, drawing her face closer to mine. "Had I known the conniving little traitor you'd turn out to be, I would've gutted you out myself," she bit out, spraying saliva on my face before she released her grip from my hair, dropping me back down to the ground. 

I scrambled on my hands and knees to the wall furthest from her, cowering as she stepped closer. Looking through a curtain of my curls, my attention darted back and forth from her looming figure to my surroundings. The room was dark, dusty and patches of mold covered nearly every corner. Everything was chiseled from dark gray stone. Not a glimmer of gold, nor a single shining gem anywhere in sight. A small rectangular mat laid on the floor in the center with a single sheet of fabric laid haphazardly over it. A small oil lamp sat just beside it, but other than that, there was nothing else in the room. 

She stepped up to the lamp, hissing something under her breath before she kicked it at me. I jumped, instinctively holding a hand up to stop the lamp and the sizzling oil inside of it from connecting with my skin. The lamp stopped in mid-air for a brief moment before clanging to the ground right in front of me.

"Defiant little wench!" the woman screamed. "You've earned twenty lashings for that, Zippora!" she snarled, retreating from the room. 

I leaned back against the cold wall as silent sobs escaped me. When the door of the room opened again, I jolted up to my feet. My heart thudded in my chest as shivers raked through me. I prayed she hadn't come back with her favorite heavy chain for the lashings she'd just promised. 

I let out a shaky breath as Iophiel stealthily stepped in, quietly closing the door behind him before turning his attention to me.

"Iophiel," I breathed, running into his arms. For a moment, he just stood there, unmoving, unwilling to wrap his arms around me. I leaned away, confused and hurt as I gazed up at him. "Iophiel, what is it? What's wrong?" I demanded.

Slowly, he lowered his eyes to me, brushing his thumbs across my tear-ridden face. "This ends," he announced, his voice low and gravelly. "This ends, or we end. I will not stand by and watch anymore," he said with, shaking his head curtly. 

"What are you saying, Iophiel?" I asked, taking a step back.

"I'm saying a decision must be made. If you don't give me an answer today, I will choose for you," he stated simply, closing the distance I attempted to put between us.