12

The road to the manor was less than hospitable, made up of looming trees over a windy road that made us all question if we were about to be trapped in a serial killer's lair, but the actual estate was astounding. A small garden guarded by lion statues sat at the entrance. The road twisted back into the treeline that opened to a parking lot. We got a bare glimpse of the manor through the trees. A narrow peak above the trees. A circular tower of stone.

"Can we pull up to the door to take in our belongings first or do we have to park?" Mom asked.

"Seems like the road leads to the door so let's try," Dad replied.

I was vibrating in my seat, already excited by the damn garden and that was coming from someone that never really gave a damn about flowers. The garden stretched from the entrance to far behind the castle, so Mom claimed. Every year different flowers were planted, but were there so many flowers in existence? Already there were too many to count, varying shades of orange, yellow, pink, purple, every shade of the rainbow scattered on either side of the road, as if an artist flicked a paint brush and simply let the colors sit. Sagging tree limbs hung overheard, casting cool shade while pink leaves fluttered in the wind from trees with foliage like cotton candy.

Dad rounded the bend and we came upon the castle, a structure of gray stone and stained glass windows engraved with sigils. Not as big as I expected, wider than it was tall, but it felt like we were transported to another world. The entrance was rounded, a deep brown entryway that led to a door with iron clasps. We all hurried out of the van, our necks craned to take in the towers and moss covered roof. Ivy slithered up the side, making the castle almost appear made by nature.

"This is gorgeous," Aunt Zoey whispered, linking her arm with Uncle David's.

Beau was reaching for his camera. The both of us were on the verge of bolting when Mom said, "Let's check in first then have a look around."

I pouted. "I want to look around now."

"Stop being so impatient. We're here for three days."

Mom knocked first earning a few snickers from us. She hissed then hesitantly opened the door, grunting from how heavy it was.

"Hello?" she called, stepping into the foyer so we could follow.

I stood behind Beau, admiring the wooden paneled walls and stone ceiling. To the left there was a red carpeted staircase leading to the second floor and a white hall. A golden mirror hung on the wall with a checkered chair in the corner. On the right there was an open doorway to a very pink room. A woman got up from a white desk, meeting us with a bright smile. Our parents spoke with her while Beau and I gawked at our surroundings. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was impressed. There were metal lamps hanging from the ceilings and statues in corners.

Something creaked, catching both our attention. I shook Beau's arms when the wooden paneled wall opened. I knew there were hidden passages! The wooden panel actually had a door, which, once I had a closer look, was obvious with the golden handle. A woman poked her head out, waved at us then went back in.

"Boys, this way," Aunt Zoey called, gesturing for us to follow up the stairs.

The lady of the pink room was guiding them, going on about the history of the castle. Apparently it went through a few hands, first the original owner then it was a christian women's college then it was vacant for a while until the state bought it to make into a historical landmark. Neat. While going up the stairs, we passed the largest window of all; almost twice my height. An oddly shaped chandelier hung overheard, dimly lighting the walk way.

Mom and Dad got to stay in Queen Antoinette's Quarters--no queen's lived there though, but I let it slide. Aunt Zoey and Uncle David got King Alfred's Suite while Beau and I got an unnamed room. I would have complained, but we were in a castle. I was in an abnormally good mood.