Chapter 9: Separation anxiety

Waking up the next day and going through a new morning routine had been dreaded, but very welcomed at the very same time.

Both of the adults were a) very glad that Trixie had spent the night at Daniel's and b) thrilled that they got to go back to work that very same morning. However, and as everything in life, good things came with a hell of a lot of bad.

Chloe would be lying if she said she hadn't noticed the way Lucifer had gone to bed the night before, completely shattering his self-imposed rule of no co-sleeping. He had gotten Clover ready for bed, and instead of laying her on her crib right beside Chloe's bed, he had gone to bed with her laying on his chest. Now that he actually had a bed, since Maze had moved out, he had been tempted to co-sleep far more often, and seeing as it only brought chaos in Clover's sleep schedule, he had decided he'd keep that pleasure from himself.

It was wired in a way he was still failing to understand, but something within him felt at ease whenever Clover was near him. Having her nearby assured him his daughter was safe. It pained him putting her to bed in Chloe's room and then having to exile himself to Maze's old room, even if he had a baby monitor and everything. He just needed to be sure she was safe, and having her within reaching distance did that for him. He was positive that, as long as Clover was with him, nothing bad would happen to the happy little baby, and even if he was only two rooms away from her at night, it still hurt.

That morning they silently agreed that Lucifer would be the one to get Clover up and ready. Chloe could notice how much being away from her messed with him and she wanted to let him spend as much time with her as possible before leaving her with Maze until noon. That was certainly something that worried the devil to an unfathomable extent.

They had had to make a choice between leaving Clover at daycare for four hours a day, or to leave her with Maze. Leaving her at daycare would mean she was with professional people that knew how to handle babies, but it also meant leaving her with people that knew nothing about divinity and about Clover being half-angel, which was dangerous to an extent they weren't willing to go. Leaving her with Maze, on the other hand, meant that she would know how to deal with any celestial outburst the little girl might experience. However, Maze barely knew how to take care of Trixie, and, even if she meant well, she was far too out of her element taking care of a two-month-old.

As tough as it was, they had to choose with humanity's best interest at heart, and had to leave her with Maze. Lucifer was most definitely not freaking out about that, no.

Lucifer had to tell himself that everything would be fine throughout the entirety of the forty-five minutes it took him to get Clover ready for the day. It normally took him less than half an hour, but he just had to take his time and make sure that nothing preventable would be the cause for disaster. At least they wouldn't have to take Clover out of the house, as Maze would be stopping by and staying there until midday, when they got to come back.

Through deep breaths and asking at least three times if Maze truly knew what to do in all the crazy scenarios that had gone through his head, he and Chloe went on their way to precinct; the detective driving through LA's traffic and the devil sitting by her side, practically going insane. He had never once in his very long life thought that he would care so much about another being. And he thought he cared too much about Chloe...

They made it to the precinct about half an hour after leaving, and all Lucifer could think about was Clover and her well-being. It was all there was in his mind; whether she'd take the bottle as she wasn't too used to it, whether or not Maze would be able to handle her colic, whether or not she would have a celestial outburst that would destroy the world without him being there to hold her through it. It hadn't happened before and there really wasn't a reason to be afraid of Clover bringing the apocalypse to earth, but it didn't hurt to juggle something of the sort as a possibility. He just felt so much for his daughter that the only way it could come out was as an inhumane need to be there for her, and he was inhumane enough as it was.