A confrontation

Joker steadily approached. His eyes glowed a signiture golden, to say, I am above you. I can dismeber you limb from limb if I didn't hold back. You cannot comprehend me. But John didn't accept. John wouldn't let himself be intimidated.

"All the time I had control." Joker said "all the time I was in power, I held the vessel, you never lost it, did you? Your unrelenting ability to stand. To be an obstacle, a road block. You don't stand down, you don't know your place."

John took a fist to the face. He didn't flinch. He blocked two more attacks. He took this unrelenting onslaught.

"Go on. Block me into a corner. In this void of the mind. This is a flat feild that doesn't end, so your plan isn't going to work." John replied to the attacks, with a smirk.

"That's not the plan though. I want to either exhaust you and take you down, or push it out so we can have a real trial by combat." Joker spoke down to him.

"Your mistake is believing you have the more power. You have strength, but to use it to aid those you despise, but can get you more, and to crush all that make you think? You are the weaker man." John felt he'd won.

"JUST FUCKING PUNCH ME ALREADY, JOHNATHON. ITS A FUCKING FIGHT! YOU CALL ME SPINELESS? LOOK AT YOU! THIS IS THE FUCKING DUEL OF THE FUCKING CENTURY SO TRY TO TREAT IT AS SUCH!" Joker was tired of this.

"You're trying to provoke me? To unleash my inside? To exhaust of combat? Look at yourself."

"WHY, YOU DEGENERATE FUCKING IMBRED CRIPPLE DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE A FUCKING CHANCE NEVERMIND THE EDGE?!" Joker had lost it. He was throwing appearance and backstory insults to a carbon copy of himself.

"Because you're me."

It went silent.

"This is all in my mind, right? Joker is just the false persona I built, right? I can dispel you any moment."

"Why didn't you before this?" He seemed genuinely shocked by what was said and wanting to know more. His rage had paused.

"Because I needed you to prove how truly weak you are. By trying to prove your superiority, you've proven your inferiority, and you will be cast to nothing more than the depraved thoughts I supress when they're made. You have nothing but physical control of a battlefield, and we're in a mind."

Joker faded. John stood in his mind. He looked around at the empty far reaches and smiled. He was finally in control of his own life. And he woke.