Chapter Twenty-Two

When Friday reminded me that the party was starting in an hour, I started to get ready. I cleaned up my area (space, room, floor?) and then got in the shower after deciding I would wear one of the dresses that had snuck its way into my closet for some reason. After I had gotten out, I brushed wisps of thick, curly hair that had started to grow into something more presentable.

Then I slipped into the dress. It was red, long sleeved, and a little bit too big for me, but I thought I looked fine. If anything I could be given the benefit of the doubt. I have never been to a party before after all.

"Friday, do I look okay?" The AI probably wouldn't be able to give me any worthwhile advice, but it felt nice to ask.

"Yes," she said, "The party starts in 15 minutes. If you would like to change you have time,"

"Are you trying to tell me I should change?"

"It is my understanding that you would be the only person wearing a dress,"

But surely it would be okay. It wasn't like it was that much of a big deal. I would be fine.

"I'll be okay Friday," I said.

"I would suggest a pair of leggings," I nodded, finding that it wasn't that bad of an idea. I put on a pair and made my way to the living room and sat at the counter, reviewing all I knew about the people coming and what normal party etiquette was. Hydra knows I had asked Friday enough questions about that.

As soon as 15 minutes had passed, I got up, grabbed my cookies, and got into the elevator. The cuffs on my hands were still on, but Mr. Stark had downsized them in the past two weeks. Now they were small metal bands, more like a stylish bracelet that clung to my wrist than a bulky cuff.

The elevator started to move and in a few seconds I was at the Penthouse. I took a deep breath before stepping out of the elevator.

The Penthouse had completely changed since I had last seen it a couple days ago. Small golden lights hung from almost every surface that wasn't covered in tinsel or topped with a wreath. Elaborate food trays sat on the counter and the long table, laden with cheeses, meats, fruits, and vegetables.

Even though I had arrived right on time, there were already several people there. There was a dark skinned man with metal around his legs (?) talking to Mr. Stark, Peter was talking to Vision and apparently freaking out over him while Wanda looked on with amusement, and two women who were apparently Pepper and Peter's aunt, I just didn't know which was which.

Peter looked over and waved me over to Wanda and Vision, a look of excitement in his eye. I walked over with a small smile; no doubt Peter was going to re-introduce me to Wanda and Vision.

"Hi Cori! Have you met Ms. Wanda and Mr. Vision," I nodded before handing each of them a bag of cookies. Peter looked down at the bag of cookies in his hands.

"Did you make these?" he said, wide-eyed.

"Yes. It took a little while though," Peter smiled.

"I bet they can't be any worse than what Aunt May makes," he lowered his voice to a whisper, "Her cooking is not the best. She brought a nut cake as a joke. It might be best if you didn't try it," I nodded.

"I'll keep that in mind," I said, whispering as well, "Which one is your Aunt May anyway,"

Peter nodded to Pepper and Aunt May.

"The one with the brown hair and the glasses. She's great," I nodded. The woman he was mentioning was very pretty, with long dark brown hair and a bit of a loud fashion sense that still seemed to suit her.