Chapter 4: Axel

Gym is always the same, we all set up a game and play, then pack up. It's always been like that, no theory, no sitting around, and like our beloved teacher Mr. Pulter says ever so graciously: no bullshit, ever.

Change, set-up, play, pack-up, shower, change, go away. No fighting, no whining, no nonsense. Mr. Pulter is kinda great that way. The kind of man that I would like to be one day, when I'm older, with salt and pepper hair, wizened and most likely with a digestive problem from all the crap I eat.

And it seemed today was just going to be as ordinary. When in the change rooms, I barely noticed as he walks in, the kid I lent my textbook too, the new kid, Lachlan, comes in to get changed.

He avoids eye contact with anyone as he passes through the clouds of deodorant and body odour to one of the shower stalls to change in private.

After about four seconds Brady can't resist being Brady.

"I here only little faggots like getting changed in the stalls. He should come out and join the real men already."

I can't help it, I react, swing my arm round the back of his head.

"No bullshit remember. I think you can stand not being a jerk for hour, right?"

I didn't even bother to look at him as he mutters to himself, then storms out of the locker room, Jason and the other guys swiftly follow their leader.

I look over to the closed stall where Lachlan stood, I couldn't see him at all but I still looked and I could feel him looking back too.

*****

Pulter's whistle is giving me a headache. If Brady, Jason, Jared and Matty could just behave for a double lesson, play volleyball without purposely trying to out do each other with over the top spikes and serves, and also without Brady attempting to direct all his at Lachlan on the opposing team, maybe their gym teacher would actually enjoy teaching some young men, but he really didn't.

"Matthew Hunter, if you want to join the ballet then I'm sure they are rehearsing after school hours, if you want to stay on and play volleyball then stop showing us how high you can jump and hit the damn ball!"

"Brady that serve wasn't to the other point of the court, aim properly or get off."

"IS THIS DRAMA CLASS BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL BEHAVING LIKE A PACK OF QUEENS!!"

My head pulsed, I felt like it was going to pop. Packing up couldn't come soon enough. I used to enjoy this class, I used to enjoy being around Brady and the other guys, I used to enjoy a lot of stuff.

What the hell is the matter with me? You may ask. Yeah, let's not go there. Ever.

It's only when I walk back into the change rooms is when I see them.

Brady, Jason, Jared and Matty, circle Lachlan like a pack wolves. The other boys in the change room, melting back into the wall, either to scared to do anything or they had too much interest in the spectacle to move an inch.

They are looking through his bag. They study him, like the way all alpha males do. I hate the way they feel the need to sniff out any weakness, any hinderance of any guy they didn't know. Whatever Brady was searching for, when he found it he would use it to keep Lachlan under his thumb for good.

I inhale, my nostrils flaring but beyond my anger I feel worried, panicked for this poor new kid, worried that I can't see his face.

I prepare to give Brady a right smack down. Maybe it's time we finally settled our score.

Thanks for reading my story. Feel free to leave a comment or vote for it if you want. Feedback would be great :)