44. Aarav

This is not happening.
This cannot be happening.
Not Sakshi.
I did not expect this. This is a variable I did not prepare for.
I knew Sakshi was flawed, that her need to feel good about herself ruled everything else but this is too far...
This is a betrayal I will not forgive her for.
I recognize the man immediately.
The obstacle in my road.
He is better looking than his pictures, his face hides the filth well...
I look at her holding his hand, looking all happy, she even has a ring on. Great! So she has taken a second chance with both Madhav and him. How convenient! How selfish!
So she gets her lover back free and fine even though he is a rapist and I had to walk through hell and back to finally gain Madhav.
She doesn't deserve this simplicity that has seemingly just fallen into her lap. I want to reach, in this stagnant pause, and rip her throat off but I catch myself just in time.
"Aarav! Stop!" Madhav yelps in pain, pulling his hand away.
"I'm sorry love. I.... you.... I did not mean... why don't you just run upstairs and get the diary while I talk to Sakshi here."
He nods, accepting the escape from this biting silence. He sprints up the stairs in a moment. I walk towards her, seeing no reason to hide the rage, he covers her protectively, "Get away. It's between me and her."
"Sakshi, who the fuck is he?" he asks angrily.
"He is Madhav's partner. Aarav Sen." she says, her voice brittle and on the verge. The righteous anger is drained in seconds as realization strikes him. My name has had this spell for years, but now, as he fears me all of a sudden, I feel immense pleasure in it. Yes, fear me. You deserve it.
"Sakshi... you didn't even consider telling him the truth?"
"Aarav I was going to tell both of you..."
"When? When Sakshi? How long would you have kept us in the dark if we hadn't found out this way?"
"Aarav... it all happened so quickly... we realised we weren't really over each other.... we..."
"The reason you and Madhav separated all began with him... this man's mistakes have ruined so much and you gave him a chance so soon. Why hasn't guilt killed you yet? All those times Madhav called you... talked with you over the call.... asked about your mother.... you were fucking his brother..."
"Excuse me Mr. Sen. It is a family issue... Madhav is my brother and I'm her husband to be... we will decide when..." he lamely tries to argue.
"Madhav? Brother?" I almost laugh, "well I'm the reason he is alive right now. I'm the reason Sakshi didn't think herself to death moreover.... I'm Madhav's real husband."
His eyes go wide as if asking,
You know?
Yes. I do. The terror on his face is beautiful. He knows that his crime isn't just a story anymore. His free days are numbered. His fragile bravado falls completely, replaced by the look of a prey. Such a handsome, tall man, shame how his whole life is nothing but guilt and failure.
What a terrible waste of oxygen! I could just strangle him now and earth won't lose a dime of itself. Next to him stands this slave, this pretentious woman who thinks shouting makes her look brave, a bad friend and a worse human.
Pathetic.
She doesn't know. She only knows how apathetic he is towards Madhav, not what his apathy is capable of.
I want to tell her. To see the wheels of her mind blast.
"Aarav... I... I know he and Madhav aren't so close... but I... will..."
I laugh. Her face turns into a slapped red. "Yes... yes... of course You will reunite them. When Madhav was in the hospital where was he? Only we were there. When you were in the..." I stop.
I stop because Sakshi's eyes go wide in complete horror.
He doesn't know.
She hasn't told him.

Marvelous.
This well runs deeper than I thought.

I know why. She thinks he won't accept her after she tells him and yet she accepts him after his infidelity.
Not because she is some forgiving saint.
But, because she will do any damn thing to tolerate being herself.
A slave, I know so.

Minutes ago, I wanted to kill them both. To tear their torsos open and pour molten iron into them. To forge a new keel for these spineless worms.
But not anymore,
The rage is replaced by a dim laughter in the back of my head.
Betraying Madhav has angered their fate. Standing in my way has brought them to this laughable tragedy.