Chapter 5

V

A week later, Adama was ending his watch. He was dead tired. But he knew everyone else was as well so he didn't extend himself much sympathy. But as tired as he and everyone else was the events of the previous week had given them hope that they would soon be able to communicate with their alleged brethren on the planet. Hearing what sounded like "Earth" in the broadcast, had jolted everyone. Now they wanted the payoff.

His watch was over. Well, that wasn't correct. The Commanding Officer's watch was never "over", and he knew that better than anyone. But Captain Hoshi had just stepped into CIC to being his shift as the Officer On Duty of Galactica.

"I relieve you, Admiral", saluted Louis Hoshi. The Admiral smiled inwardly, remembering the burden he had given Hoshi before the battle with The Colony. He had performed admirably in his temporary role of Admiral Of The Fleet. Adama had no doubt that, had fate been kinder, Hoshi would have had his own ship to command someday.

"I stand relieved, Louis. Hotdog is on the CAP. He has two of the rookies, Turndown and Gunner on his wings. No contacts to report. All systems are normal. Keep everything quiet tonight, will you?", the Admiral winked.

"Aye, Admiral, if I have anything to do about it, you won't hear a peep. Good night sir."

The Admiral was asleep in ten minutes, tops. He found himself reliving the mission that he had sent Bulldog on into Tauron sector so many years ago. He had had similar dreams before, and every time, Bulldog had made it back home. Maybe it was his way of trying to forgive himself for not rescuing Bulldog. Adama was convinced that Bulldog's mission set in motion the devastating attack on the Colonies. Maybe these dreams were cathartic for him. Maybe he was just fooling himself. Bulldog was still with the Fleet. Someday he might even put on that uniform again, but for now, the man was still trying to rebuild who he had been.

He was startled awake the light was switched on in his quarters. It was Lieutenant Agathon. He glanced at his clock. It was only 0330. Well, Hoshi's wish hadn't come true, had it?

"Yes, Lieutenant, what is it?", he said groggily. He still was halfway in the dream, it seemed.

"Sir, Baltar just talked to Hoshi in CIC. He says the computer has cracked the language that the message was sent in." Helo unwound that sly smile that made him so popular on the ship.

Adama was fully awake now. "'About damn time", he quipped. He paused and took a deep breath. "OK, I want everyone who is anyone to meet me in here in fifteen minutes. Lee, Kara, Baltar, the President, Athena, Tigh and The Chief. We need to all go over this and decide what it says and how we'll respond."

"Aye, Admiral", Helo smartly pivoted and left the room.

It took a little longer than fifteen minutes for everyone to be assembled. Karl and Athena had to find an emergency babysitter for Hera at such and ungodsly hour. But thirty minutes after he gave his command, everyone that he had requested to attend the meeting was in place.

Adama wasted no time with any formalities. He turned the meeting immediately over to Baltar.

"We've finally cracked the language that we honed in on from that message that was sent last week. The combination of them transmitting that message in audio, visual medium and in text form seems to have clicked with our programs. Plus the fact that the word 'Earth' apparently was used, and it gave the computers something to compare. It was only one word, but it's like a light bulb went on inside the program, as if to say 'hey, I know that word.' Now, remember, the computer is still learning, but we're starting to get some real understanding coming out in Caprican. But getting that specific address from the planet, from that individual probably saved us weekS, maybe even months of work."

Part 1, Battlestar Galactica: Dawnजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें