AU- Seeing Santa

I didn't really know what to call this chapter lol, basically an AU where Dean and Cas take their young son, Jack to see Santa at the mall.

Dean woke up to his husband, Castiel, kissing him on the cheek.  "Dean, Honey, time to get up, we promised to have a fun weekend off with Jack, remember?"

Dean smiled at Cas, "Yeah, lemme get dressed and we can have some breakfast before we go."  He sat up in bed, stretching his arms up and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.  Cas was always more of the morning person since he worked as a teacher.  Dean was an EMT at a local hospital and had a fairly irregular schedule in comparison.  But this weekend both men had off, so they wanted to spend time with their son leading up to the holidays.  Jack had turned six years old that year, and was finally getting to the age where he could appreciate their outings a lot more.

After he threw on a t-shirt and jeans, slipping on a jacket and his work boots in the process, Dean walked to the kitchen in order to make breakfast.  Cas was already sitting, reading the newspaper with a cup of tea in front of him, Dean's morning coffee on the table waiting.

"Thanks, Cas," Dean said, picking up the cup and taking a sip, "I don't know what I'd do without you.  Any plans for the day?"

Cas looked up from his newspaper and smiled, "I was thinking we could take Jack to see Santa at the mall today since we haven't had a chance to since he was a baby."

Dean nodded, "I'll bring the camera, but first, breakfast!"

Dean loved cooking for his husband and son on weekends.  Mealtimes were one of the few parts of the day when they could all be together, so he liked to make it special.   He started heating up a pan to scramble some eggs and put some bread in the toaster.  He even put on some water in the kettle to make Jack some hot cocoa.

Speaking of Jack, the boy came running around the corner at that point, toy airplanes in his hands as he flew them around the kitchen.  Dean chuckled to himself as Jack 'landed' his airplanes on the table, sitting down to have breakfast. Dean placed a plate of eggs and toast in front of him, as well as the mug of hot cocoa, "Breakfast served, pilot!"

Jack swung his legs back and forth as he dug into the food.  Dean served up some food for himself and Cas as well and the happy family ate together before piling into Dean's Impala to head to the mall.

~~~

Dean and Cas held hands as they walked into the mall, Jack running circles around them being the high energy kid he was.  Cas grabbed his hand when they got inside so he wouldn't get lost among the crowd of holiday shoppers.  People were walking in all directions, and it was quite chaotic inside the mall between the noise of people talking and the holiday music playing overhead.  Garlands and wreaths were hung all around between stores, and in the center of the mall was a huge Christmas tree, covered in lights.

In front of the Christmas tree was a stack of fake presents and a chair which held none other than- "Santa!" Jack cried out in joy.  He bounced up and down, tugging on Cas' arm, "Can we please go see?"

Cas chuckled, "Of course, let's go get in line."

The happy family headed into the line of parents and their children waiting to sit on Santa's lap.  The man was making sure to ask every single child what they wanted, and to give enough time for pictures, so they were gonna be in line for a bit.

"He sure is a popular guy that Santa Claus? Isn't he, Bub?" Dean asked his son.  Jack nodded, as he looked around the crowded shopping space in wonder.  The boy had been talking about the holidays non-stop after they discussed them in class, and Dean knew Jack really wanted to see snow this year, so he was hoping for a White Christmas.  As the line wound down Jack somehow got even more excited, and it was all Cas could do to keep track of the kid.

By the time they reached the front of the line and Dean pulled out his wallet to pay the entry fee, Jack was already running to see Santa.  He stopped just short of the man and Dean and Cas got ready with their camera.  Once Jack was allowed to sit on Santa's lap, he looked to his dads.

"Okay Jack, smile!" Cas said as Dean hit the shutter on the camera, taking a few quick pictures.  

Santa turned to Jack, "What do you want for Christmas this year, little boy?  Or have you been naughty and deserve coal in your stocking?"

"No, I've been suuuuuuper good!" Jack said, swinging his legs back and fourth.  Dean and Cas looked at each other and laughed a little.  He was a good kid all things considered.  After a moment of thought Jack lit up.  "I know!  I want a puppy!"

"A puppy you say?" Santa replied, looking to Dean and Cas with a knowing smile, "I'll have to have my elves find you the very best one!"

Cas leaned his head on Dean's shoulder as Dean whispered in his ear, "I'm sure we'll work something out."  

Soon the family headed out of the mall to continue their adventure, Jack with the hopes of a puppy on his mind, and his Dads thinking about how to get one for him.

I couldn't figure out a good way to end this one, but I hope you enjoyed this bit of Destiel Dads.  I don't know what it is but just the simple things like holding hands are extra cute to me right now