[C30] roadtrip

< 3rd person POV:  >

"Yeah, gonna spend it with Tommy and his family. He didn't want me to be alone." I say while on a call with clay.

"You're spending Christmas with Tommy's family?" Clay asks

"Yeah? Why is that a problem?"

"No no no, of course not. But I mean both of you did have a thing in the past..." clay sang

"Don't get any ideas. Tommy and I are friends. Always been and always will be."

"I bet you'd like to be more than tho huh?"

"Shut up."

"Whatever, not gonna be surprised if you end up calling me or Alyssa for adviceee!" he pauses to laugh, "Take care Maeve, gonna be calling you a lot. I miss my sister."

"I miss you too clay, I promise as soon as possible I'll visit you guys." 

Sadly enough Maeve's flights were canceled, the blizzard coming the day of and it wasn't safe for her to go. Even Tommy's plans were pushed ahead just so they could make it. Leaving on the 19th and hopefully arriving before the blizzard gets bad. Clay's been calling Maeve to check up on her, making sure she's okay since they won't be able to see each other.

Clay thought she would be much sadder but turns out Maeve had other plans. Clay's happy she has a friend that'll help her out. He knows about Tommy and Maeve's past, I mean everyone did. Clay has trusted Tommy since Maeve was 16. 2 years past and he still does.

Today is December 18th. Maeve finished her packing, luggage for the next two weeks and few extras prepared ready. Milo was being taken care of by will and Niki. Wanting to return the favor.

Tommy told his family that Maeve was coming with, his family a bit too excited for it. By family, I mean his parents. Tommy's mom and dad have loved Maeve since the day they met her. His mom asked about Maeve wondering what happened to her after her visit 2 years ago but Tommy kept to himself.

Tommy called Maeve to make sure she has everything ready for tomorrow. Bags, gifts, etc. Milo was dropped off earlier today at Niki's. The house is just Maeve. For once she was completely alone at her home. There was something calming about it. Though it felt weird not cuddling with her cat, she enjoyed the time to herself.

The next morning, Tommy got up bright and early. He packed his car with all his things then headed to Maeve's. There the blond girl stood by her porch, all bundled up in her jackets. Luggage surrounding her. Tommy got out of the car to help put her things in the back.

And now begins the long hours of their roadtrip...

< Maeve's POV: >

I took off my jackets to get comfortable. We have 4 hours of a drive ahead of us. Possibly more due to traffic and the snow that may hit us. The car was warm, the sounds of Tommy and I's old Spotify playlists filling the car. Yesterday and today, I've felt this overwhelming calmness. I feel grounded and aware. I mean that's how you're supposed to feel, but my anxiety doesn't let that happen. So now that I feel these things, I'm not gonna take it for granted.

I realized that moments like this won't happen always. Tommy looked straight ahead, the sun hitting his skin, casting a shadow on one side. I found myself admiring the boy, his blue eyes standing out more as the sun hit it.

"you good mae?" Tommy asks glancing at me then back at the road.

"Yeah yeah," I say looking away, resting my head on the cold window.