Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Maranda stretched, then sighed, then heard it again. The knocking that had woken her up. She ignored it at first. Then there was the creaking of the door and she opened one eyes in time to see Ori and Fili jump onto her bad. She screamed and Fili attacked her with a pillow.

"It's today! Today today!" Ori squealed in joy bouncing on his bum. Maranda hit him in the head with a pillow and he shouted as he fell from the bed. He popped back up, arms on the edge of the bed. "Are you excited?"

"YES!" Maranda squealed and flung the pillow at Fili. After a few more minutes a woman came in with a pile of fabric.

"Mara?" she asked.

"Oh that's me!" Maranda leapt from the bed and flew over. The woman stared in awe.

"Misters Haynes asked me to give you these," she said and Maranda beamed at her.

"Thank you, so much."

"Good luck today. All of you" the woman said earnestly and left. Maranda kicked the boys out and dressed quickly. Mistress Haynes knew what she was doing. The pants were snug but still loose enough for her to twist and they cut off above the knees. Her knew shirt slipped on over her head and the back was open with a strap along the neck to support it. A thick bodice was in the middle that she laced up loosely. It was all in green except the bodice which was white with carefully embroidered swirls. She tried her flying and threw a few kicks and punches. It worked well. She took in a deep breath and grabbed her bag. She stepped out into the passage and went down to the main hall. She arrived as the others stood in the entry hall with Bard. He looked anxious.

"It's nearly dawn, people are gathering in the streets," Bard mumbled. "I've directed them to come to the square for an announcement."

"You'll do fine," Maranda said touching his elbow gently. "Tell them that you are all evacuating to the shore for safety reasons and that when Smaug is dead everyone will go back to Dale and they will follow you. They respect you," she said kindly and Thorin shot her a look. Yes, he was, in fact, jealous of the attention she was putting in Bard when she rarely said such things of him. Bard nodded and sucked in a deep breath.

"Let's go." They all stepped outside and the people cheered in excitement. Thorin nodded, his hair once more loose and flowing and smiled faintly, people cheering in joy crying out his name. "Once the dragon slayers and the King have left for Erebor, we too will be leaving. The Oracle Fairy has assure me once the dragon is dead then we will all have a home in Dale, and the city will be rebuilt." A cheer went up in excitement. "I ask you to only take what you must, but do not leave behind anything you might need later. We do not know the chances of returning," Bard added. "You should hurry," he muttered to the Company

"To the docks," Thorin mumbled and set off through town. Flower petals were falling from houses and people were cheering, wishing luck and good fortune. Thorin walked with pride and relished the attention, most of them did.

"Where's Bofur?" Bilbo shouted.

"No time, keep moving," Maranda said shoving his back. They were boarding the ship when Thorin stopped Kili. Maranda busied herself making sure her bag was far from the edge.

"Maranda!" Kili said. He was asking her? Oh for the love of-

"Listen to your uncle," Maranda said calmly. "You're ill and need to be healed, love," she said and Kili narrowed his eyes. She arched her eyebrow and Kili let Oin pull him away from the edge. Fili climbed off the boat and snapped his response at Thorin. The King climbed into the ship, four men short, and glanced at Maranda she shrugged and the horn sounded.

"Bard!" she called and he glanced at her. "Go home, stay with your kids. Trust me!" she shouted as they set off and Maranda waved goodbye to everyone in sight. Maranda sighed. "I'll miss that boy." she said softly and Thorin bristled, assuming she was talking about Bard. She was in fact referring to Kili. He was watching her go and she waved in a small way. The journey across The Long Lake started slowly and when Thorin asked her if they should hurry she shrugged and said they had plenty of time without her interfering.

"I have a good feeling but my Sight is muggy. I think the Mountain is clouding my vision," she said honestly. She may know the story by heart but she couldn't See anything. She flew, spiraling over the Desolation out of earshot from her friends but still in sight so she could look but not have an impact. She flew higher and higher, trying to think of a way to kill Smaug without the Black Arrow or destroying Laketown. Nothing came to mind. She eventually heard a horn and turned, diving down to her Company. They had found the staircase.

"Come on," Thorin said, eyes wide and a grin on his face. Maranda flew up, keeping level with him as they went up. Thorin was too focused on climbing to notice her nervous looks and glances at the sun. It was only when they reached the top and Thorin was beaming at his companions did he see her grim face. Dwalin and Nori started searching and he got nervous. Maranda couldn't watch.

"I-I'll g-go see if it's a bit that way," she said gesturing to the left where a rocky road of boulders made a sort of staircase. She landed lightly on an overlook and covered her face as the sounds of fear and panic struck the dwarves. No, Bilbo needed this. This was his moment. She watched the sun go down and sucked in a deep breath. She flew back and landed beside Thorin. She bit her lip. He looked devastated, eyes downcast and shoulder slumped in defeat. Bilbo was protesting their exit and Maranda gave him a look.

"Do something," he mouthed and she shook her head.

"Use your head, burglar," she mouthed back and followed Thorin to the top of the stairs. She grabbed his wrist before he started down. She could hear Bilbo thinking aloud behind her. "Thorin, listen-"

"I failed, Maranda. Failed my father, my grandfather...everyone," he said softly.

"No, no, shut up. That's not true. You got this far and we're not done yet," she said taking his hands. He looked at her, eyes bleak and face drawn. "Thorin, I may not be able to see what comes next, but I see what comes later. We aren't done here, and it's all thanks to-"

"THE LIGHT OF THE MOON!" the Hobbit cried and she looked over her shoulder.

"He did it!" she cried in ecstasy and tugged Thorin back over the rocks. In a matter of minutes the door was open and Bilbo was ready to go in, Maranda went in with him and Balin and once Balin said his piece he started back.

"Bilbo, listen to me very carefully," Maranda said taking his hands in hers.

"What-what?" he asked, worried.

"I know you're going in their for the Arkenstone, I know that's the reason you're here. Leave it."

"What?"

"Don't touch it, don't bother, don't even try to take it. I'll go in soon and you go invisible and split, okay? I'll worry about the Arkenstone."

"But it's my job-"

"Bilbo Baggins, that Stone will only ruin Thorin," she said firmly.

"What?"

"A dragon has been lying on that hoard for over half a century. His evil has seeped into the gold and above that, Thorin's house is plagued with Dragon Sickness. He will lose his mind and that Stone will only make it worse. He's good, but not stronger than the sickness. Balin knows of it. He'll explain better than me some time soon. Bilbo please. Trust me. Look for it, try, but don't actually take it," she said, tears on her face. "I'll take all the blame, all the hate. Just please."

"Okay, alright. I won't touch it," he mumbled. "I'll just...Go," he said.

"Oh and Bilbo," she said. "Be clever.