A Short Story

A gentle lattice of rain trickles down the carriage's windows, a living, liquid curtain that distorts the stunning view of Scotland's pastoral countryside. The West Coast Main Line is outstandingly beautiful, as is typical this time of year, yet my mood is marred by the nagging anxiety that I harbor in the back of my mind, a product of overwhelming uncertainty and the most ghastly fog to which I awoke in London this morning. The whole town reeked of rotted eggs, and something about the air made one feel as though one's lungs were being crushed in. Not that anyone needs any help feeling that way, as of late. Talk about a year for the rubbish bin. It all started with the destruction of Cairo by fire, followed promptly by the passing of our beloved King George—God rest his soul. Take all that and add it to the Polio epidemic, that dreadful disease running rampant across the Empire—or what's left of it—ravaging our children, no less. And if that weren't enough to signal the end of the world, let's cap it all off with the design and detonation of our first Atomic Bomb; why we've decided to follow the example of our wayward cousins across the Atlantic, I'll never know.

And still, we carry on, as we always do. Be it into the jaws of hell or to the end of life as we know it, that remains to be seen.

"We're coming up on Glasgow. You might want to start pulling your head out of the clouds," says my traveling companion, Charles, from his seat beside me. He stands up and grabs the most grotesque-looking tweed briefcase from the storage overhead, something I'd never be caught dead carrying in public.

Charles is the Special Programs Advisor to the Secretary of State for War and, as such, the primary liaison in charge of financing my project. It also so happens we grew up in the East End together, a fact that certainly doesn't hurt my chances of continued funding, though I've never been one to place all my eggs in one basket. This project must be able to stand on its own merit, independent of whatever personal history I may have.

"You look nervous," he says, leaning on his seat with one arm.

I pull my attention from the window and grab my coat from the back of my own seat. "Perhaps I am," I admit.

"What's got you so upset, then?"

I sigh, letting my exhale carry the weight of my anxiety. "I'd be a fool not to know what this extended timeline is doing to you and your office. If we fail today, it may take years to seek out the bugs and rectify our formulas, and I'm guessing you can only divert funds for so long without people asking questions."

There's a pause where the only sound comes from the small number of other travelers in the carriage and the steady cachunk, cachunk of the wheels as they pass along the rails.

"Yes, well," he says with a strained look, clearly concealing the fact that he, too, shares my concerns. "Let's hope this is a smashing success, then."

I give a weak smile in response and look back out the window. The stars are just beginning to peek out from behind the rainclouds, despite the fact that it's barely four o'clock. It gets dreadfully dark up here in the winter—not that London is much better—though there's something about the heavens at night that have always enchanted me. Most of the rest of the world seems to be perpetually focused on terrestrial matters—taxes, politics, moving borders a foot this way or that—truly something that baffles me to no end. Why would anyone be so engrossed in the matters of this war-torn, plague-ridden planet? Why would anyone be content to remain tethered to our small fleck of a home, our grain of sand in a sea of stars and galaxies? Personally, I find the most solace outside our thin blue atmosphere, up beyond the reach of the insignificant and inconsequential.

Well, in any case, the only ones who seem to agree with me are the Russians, albeit their intentions tend to lean on the viler side, a most unfortunate reality. Though, perhaps the American beast will be wakened at the threat of Russian dominance, as pride-driven as they are. But, the Empire cannot wait upon her prodigal son to stand as defender of the world, not again. We must take our future into our own hands, which is why it's so crucial that my work succeeds, and that it succeeds quickly.