The Ring

"Okay, I swear I ended up here," Katherine said, pulling her hair out of her ponytail. Every time she concentrated, she unconsciously tied her hair, and that afternoon had certainly been stressful. Anabela took her eyes off the phone, even though what she hoped had not yet appeared on the screen, staring at the brunette in front of her.

       "You said that a few times today, Moore," She mumbled, stirring the rest of his tea with his spoon. She had made an appointment to meet her friend at work, a pastry shop where she worked as a manager, almost two hours ago. Together, they would go looking for the perfect engagement ring for Mayra Laghari, Katy's future bride. However, some problem that did not seem interesting to Anabela at the moment had made her friend to stay longer at work, and Bela, consequently, waiting for her.

       "Look, I've apologized a thousand times." Katy complained, the afternoon stress still on her body. Anabela was generally quite patient, but today she was on edge. Katherine decided to investigate this later, when she was calmer. "If you don't want to go, forget it." Completed, raising her arms as if she was surrendering.

       Anabela rolled her eyes, putting her cell phone in her bag. She promptly put some notes on the table. She got up and faced Katy, who pretended not to be bothered by her friend's possible withdrawal. Bela walked to the confectionery door, opening it. She looked at Katy again and said, in a lighter tone:

       "Are you really going to make me wait any longer?"

       "Yay!" Said Katy, clapping her hands as she hurriedly walked over to her friend. "I knew you weren't so boring as to leave me at this very important moment," she added, putting as much drama into her voice as possible.

       "Nhem, I just want to walk around the city in search of the perfect ring because I like jewelry a lot" Anabela countered sarcastically. The young women started walking towards the nearest metro.

       "Okay, I'm tired of this game," sighed Katy, a little more seriously. The stress of choosing the perfect ring for Mayra was beginning to invade her body. Again, her hair was in a ponytail. "I thought we were going to go on that street near the Rockefeller Center, there are millions of jewelry stores there." she said, leading Anabela to nod. "Well, at least that's what Mayra's assistant said."

       "She's right, don't worry." replied Anabela, smiling in an attempt to calm her friend. The subway stairs were already close. Bela thanked herself mentally that, even with Katy's delay, she still wasn't in rush hour. Today was not a day when she was patient to deal with a crowded car. The two went downstairs, promptly looking for their cards. After a light discussion about the best route to get to the desired street, they went through the turnstiles, going to the necessary side. When they were almost at the station, they saw the subway that was leaving there with speed. Katherine swore loudly, squeezing her ponytail. She found an empty bench and threw herself, waiting for the next train.

       Anabela calmly sat down next to her, watching her friend's face closely. Katy was a great companion, but in order to discover this, it was necessary to first pass through an almost impenetrable armor that she almost always wore. The young woman had a beautiful and striking presence. Her nose was thin and her lips, which were now compressed, wide. But what gave her firmness were her brown and very expressive eyes. They exuded power. And it was for them that, if you watched carefully, you could understand everything the girl was feeling. At that moment, for strangers, it was only possible to see anger, and more anger. Bela, however, could see something more. Nervousness.