year one ; potions class

‧͙⁺˚* chapter six; potions class ⁺‧͙

julianna's pov

   i stood there, shocked. did the hat really almost put me in slytherin? that's not possible. i'm a weasley. my whole family was in gryffindor. but hey, i was put in gryffindor. that the only thing that matters. merlin knows what would happen if i was put in slytherin.

i took the hat off and put it on the stool and ran to the gryffindor table. i was met by george's open arms, fred joining later.

"good job making gryffindor, lia!" george says, letting go.

"yeah, thankfully the sorting hat didn't put you in slytherin. that would have been a bloody nightmare." fred finishes, grinning widely.

   "whatever." i mumbled, sitting besides harry.

   "well done, ron and julia, excellent," said percy pompously across harry as "zabini, blaise," was made a slytherin.

julianna had a lot of nicknames, but she didn't really care if people called her a different nickname. there was jules, julia, lia, anna, the list goes on (i think). but, she was just happy to be called all of these nicknames, as her name was pretty long and annoying to say, in her opinion.

professor mcgonagall rolled her scroll and took the sorting hat away. i looked at my empty golden plate. i had only realized how hungry i was. the pumpkin pasties and chocolate frogs seemed ages ago.

   albus dumbledore, the headmaster, had gotten to his feet. he was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there.

   "welcome to a new year at hogwarts! before we begin our banquet, i would like to say a few words. and here they are: nitwit! bubbler! oddment! tweak!

"thank you!"

he sat back down everybody clapped and cheered. harry looked like he didn't know whether to laugh or not, which i found rather cute.

"is he — a bit mad?" he asked percy uncertainly.

"mad?" said percy airily. "he's a genius! best wizard in the world! but he is a bit mad, yes. potatoes, harry?"

   i hadn't realized that food had appeared until percy mentioned it. my jaw dropped. i had never seen that much food before, even if i lived in a household with about 12 people before.

"that does look good," said the ghost in the ruff sadly, watching harry cut up his steak.

"can't you — ?"

"i haven't eaten in nearly five hundred years," said the ghost. "i don't need to, of course, but one does miss it. i don't think i've introduced myself? sir nicholas de mimsy-porpington at your service. resident ghost of gryffindor tower."

3rd person pov

"i know who you are!" julianna said suddenly.

"my brothers told me about you —!" ron finished.

"you're nearly headless nick!" they said together.

"i would prefer you to call me sir nicholas de mimsy —" the ghost began stiffly, but bushy-haired hermione granger interrupted.

"nearly headless? how can you be nearly headless?"

sir nicholas looked extremely miffed, as if their little chat wasn't going at all the way he wanted.