I Dreamt of a Tower Dark

When my eyes opened, there was darkness. The darkness was not pleasant or unpleasant, it simply was. I could no longer feel the soft mattress under my back, instead I felt what might have been grass underneath me. Then I felt something sharp poke into the back of my neck. I sat up and gasped, grasping the back of my neck and searched for even the smallest sign of a wound. I found nothing.

Then there was light, and I saw my surroundings. I was sitting down in a massive field of red roses that spanned across the horizon. The entire field was like an endless desert that made one feel closer to the sky. Then I heard--no, felt--a deep hum behind me. And I felt something far more ancient than fear. I turned around, and saw a massive black tower that seemed to stretch infinity into the sky.

This Tower, which I somehow knew was at the center of the field--the center of creation--gave off a hum of power, and I heard a voice echo in my mind. The voice was quiet, and sounded like chalk scratching away on a chalkboard, and yet it was deep enough to echo like thunder. Accompanying the voice was a sharp pain that pierced my mind like a knife.

Let there be light.

The pain that the simple statement brought was excruciating, and my vision flashes white while pieces of the Tower began to crumble off of it.

Let there be light.

The roses closest to the Tower began to burn, and I heard the echoing screams of the dead and the dying.

Let there be light.

My skin burned and fractured, blood leaking out of every crack that was created by the light. I screeched in pain and horror, and fell to my knees. My vision turned red as blood began to leak out of my eyes.

Let there be light.

The Tower was almost gone now, only the skinny wreak of what used to be the powerful linchpin of the garden remained. "Augh..." My voice was hoarse and gurgled from the blood that now poured freely from my mouth.

LET...THERE...BE...LIGHT!

The Dark Tower was erased, and I was consumed by a brilliant beam of white light.

AN: First chapter in the first book of a fan fiction series. Review and comment, for that fuels the flames of my creativity.