Enigma

2011
16-Years-Old

"Well this schedule isn't as bad when I was in China four years ago..."

(Y/N) sighs as she analyzes the hectic school schedule given by her father before departing off to school. Compared to her schedule back in China, this one isn't as terrible— in fact, this felt like a fresh batch of air after being confined in small, cramped jail for years.

6:30 AM: wake up, eat, & get ready to leave
7:30 AM: ride bus/subway to school
8:00 AM: start of classes
8:10 to 8:30 AM: homeroom
8:35 AM to 12:20 PM: 4 periods
12:20 PM: lunch
1:30 to 4:20 PM: last 3 periods
4:30 to 4:45 PM: clean classroom if assigned
5:00 to 6:00 PM: online college class
6:00 PM: dinner at school
7:00 to 9:00 PM: dancing
10:00 to 11:00 PM: singing
11:00 PM to 12:00 AM: piano lessons
12:10 AM to 1:00 AM: cram school
1:30 AM: home

She's accustomed to the pressure, the little sleep she receives, and how exhausting it was to live at such early age. This was nothing more than a normal routine in her everyday life.

Having to move from one country to another every two years, friends were hard to keep due to extensive distances or different time zones. It didn't take much horsepower to realize that she really didn't need friend friends per-se; friend friends meaning to be emotionally attached to another human being— meaning having to have feelings of concern, care, and or not wanting the friendship to end.

It's better to create an association with someone, not friendship, especially since she isn't aware of the next time her family will move countries again. She believed that it's better to focus on her studies and activities rather than waste precious time with people that aren't beneficial to her education.

(Y/N) isn't forced by her parents to do these— she asks for it. Seeing their work ethics, she became devoted to be the best of the best, to make her parents proud even though they are, in fact, already proud of her.

"Yes mom?" (Y/N) answers her ringing phone.

"Hey honey, I'm sorry I couldn't drop you off to your first day of your school year," her mother guiltily apologizes, "I was called early for my flight to Paris early today."

"It's alright. It's better to know how to take the bus now than later. So I'm taking it now."

"So I've been told. Your father complained to me before I called you, saying how you refused his offer to drive you to school because I couldn't."

"It's fine, really. It isn't as different as other countries. Except for Philippines. It was much harder with their jeepneys and tricycles."

Mrs. (L/N) chuckles on the other side of the phone. "But you got a hang of it though. With the help of the *titos and *titas around the neighborhood, you got around the city easily."

(Y/N) smiles as she remembers the caring adults who helped her get to school after missing her only source of transportation. They thoroughly explained her how the "system" worked, and just like with every country she visited, to be wary of scammers who charge their customers higher than usual just because they're foreigners.